none
Workflow 2013 running on SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I still can't get Workflow 2013 to properly process workflow on my servers. I read articles about permissions and other ways to get the User Profile Service to run. Below are my questions.

I have 4 web servers and 2 SQL server. I installed workflow manager on 2 servers but in reality, I just need Workflow on 1 server. My question, does the User Synchronization Service need to be running on all servers? Or, does it need to just be running on the server where Workflow was configured? 

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:22 PM

Answers

• >>does it need to just be running on the server where Workflow was configured?

ideally (and it's supposed) WFM is installed on it's own servers (really, consider dedicated servers - WFM is not a resource-consuming product)

you can install WFM on the same servers SharePoint installed (as you did), but in this case there is no requirements regarding WFM and SharePoint services accordance.please refer to
    - WFM Bible: http://www.harbar.net/articles/wfm1.aspx
    - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/SharePoint-Conference/2014/SPC356

Vladilen

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:09 AM
  • What is the trick? I can only get UPS running on the WM server (Work Manager Server). All other servers, the UPS fails. Additionally, when I execute a Workflow 2013, it fails.

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

• Marked as answer by esteban2800 Friday, October 27, 2017 5:53 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:39 PM
  • I got it working!!!! Woot Woot!!!

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:52 PM

All replies

• WFM can only be installed in a configuration of 1, 3, or 5 servers (5 servers only when using CU4 + SB 1.1). Any other configuration is invalid. The WFM client must be installed on all servers in the farm.

Each user must have a User Profile. The UPSA Proxy must be associated with the Web Application, as well. UPSS can only run on one server at a time in a farm.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi, we are running wfm on 4servers and we do not seem to have any issues.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:39 AM
  • Hi, we are running wfm on 4servers and we do not seem to have any issues.

That's not supported. You should reduce to 3.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:40 AM
  • Hi, UPS can be run on all servers, but running on APP server is a good practise. There is no dependency between wfm installation on same server as ups.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:43 AM
  • >>does it need to just be running on the server where Workflow was configured?

ideally (and it's supposed) WFM is installed on it's own servers (really, consider dedicated servers - WFM is not a resource-consuming product)

you can install WFM on the same servers SharePoint installed (as you did), but in this case there is no requirements regarding WFM and SharePoint services accordance.please refer to
    - WFM Bible: http://www.harbar.net/articles/wfm1.aspx
    - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/SharePoint-Conference/2014/SPC356

Vladilen

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:09 AM
  • What is the trick? I can only get UPS running on the WM server (Work Manager Server). All other servers, the UPS fails. Additionally, when I execute a Workflow 2013, it fails.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:39 PM
  • I got it working!!!! Woot Woot!!!

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:52 PM
  • UPS (sync service) is supposed to be running on only one server

InSpe Computers

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:47 AM