none
SPD Workflow not start after new item ceation in SP2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I use a SPD Workflow to assign a Task to a user. When that workflow creates the Task as a New Item in the Task list. The workflow will not start when the item is created. I can start it manually or if I edit the item it will start and runs as expected. I have seen older posts about the task being created by the System Account  but this Work Flow is created by AD user ac in 2013.

What is the explanation for why the workflow will not start on a Task List. I have never experienced this on any other type of list or library.

Ajay Dabhade

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like you are having a workflow create and assign a task to a user and then want that task creation to start another workflow.  That won't work because the Task is created programmatically by the workflow and doesn't raise the event required to get the second workflow to start.  To get a second workflow to start on the task item you'll need to have the first workflow start the second workflow after the task is created.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Friday, August 18, 2017 11:24 AM
  • I tried with another list with new WF but it doesn't work. It should started after new item created. I can start it manually.

Ajay Dabhade

Friday, August 18, 2017 11:28 AM
  • As I said, if you are trying to start the workflow when a task is created by another workflow then it won't work.  Its not designed to work that way.  The start on item creation only works when a user is creating the item in the user interface.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Friday, August 18, 2017 12:41 PM
  • I have created WF in 2010, its working fine.

How can I troubleshoot 2013 issue?

Ajay Dabhade

Friday, August 18, 2017 1:58 PM
  • On my SPF2013 server if I run a workflow on custom list item where that WF creates an item in a Task list where there is a workflow set to start on create for the task list, it does run as Ajay suggests.

I think Ajay is saying the Task list workflow is set to start on create and NOT saying the custom list workflow is starting the Task list workflow.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Monday, August 21, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Ajay,

As mentioned by Paul it is by design, once you create the task in the task list, you can call the SP 2010 WF from SP 2013 and perform the actions. 

SharePoint School | Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Issue is resolved.

Problem with Workflow service on SP server.

Ajay Dabhade

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi Ajay,

Thank you for your sharing! It will be beneficial to others in this forum who meet the same issue in the future.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 8, 2017 1:52 AM