Welcome to Office 365 APIs | Microsoft Docs
Skip to main content

Office 365 APIs

This site contains the documentation for Office 365 REST APIs exposed on the OneNote and Outlook endpoints. The documentation is no longer actively updated. It is here for your reference, in case you have already included any of the API in your project.

Office 365 services, such as OneNote, Outlook, Excel, OneDrive, Microsoft Teams, Planner, and SharePoint, are now exposed in Microsoft Graph. Microsoft Graph is a unified API endpoint for accessing data across Microsoft 365, which includes Office 365, Enterprise Mobility, and Security and Windows services. It provides a simplified developer experience, with one endpoint and a single authentication token that gives your app access to data across all these services.

Our recommendation:

• If you are starting a new app, please use Microsoft Graph.
  • If you are maintaining an existing project, use this documentation set for reference. In addition, plan your move to the latest APIs in Microsoft Graph to take advantage of all the new functionality and innovation there.
  • If you are adding new functionality to an existing project, integrate that new functionality by using Microsoft Graph.

With Microsoft Graph, you can access Office 365 data and more, from solutions across mobile, web, and desktop platforms. So whether you're building web applications by using .NET, PHP, Java, Python, or Ruby on Rails, or creating apps for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), iOS, Android, or on another device platform, it's your choice.

In this section

none
SPD workflow, to-do item - how to change status without completing it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an SPD workflow, where one of the steps is just a basic "Assign a To-do Item". So the user gets assigned a task, and there is an InfoPath form to edit it. But with the form the user can only say that the task is completed - by clicking Complete Task button. In addition to that, the users would like to merely update its status to "In progress" etc. without completing the task (to indicate that they are working on it etc.) What is the most user-friendly way to achieve that?

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:25 PM

Answers

• This is what I usually do. I make a new column in my form library with the name "Tast Status"(Drop-Down Box) and put the required values for the tasks like "Started", "Not Started", "Waiting on Someone Else", "Deferred", "Completed" etc. In my workflow I keep the conditions as I suggested to change the workflow status according to the Task Status.

Now I believe for each form that is submitted you'd have a different task. So whenever a user has to change the task status they can just go to the  Form Library and click on the required form and change the Properties of that particular Form and not any other. This they can do by clicking the edit properties button on the SP Ribbon that shows up when an item is selected.

From that edit properties link the user then would be able to change the task status to anything from here and the workflow can wait till the time this particular field is changed (as I stated in the 1st reply).

I would say this would be an easier way to achieve the required goal(As I Understant it) to get all the task status covered without doing a lot of programming or mind-boggling tricks with SPD. If you do find any other solution somewhere, please share it here.

Learning with everyone
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• You can write a Custom Workflow for this using SharePoint Designer 2010. There you can set workflow status as In Progress until a certain condition is satisfied, lets say the user complete there work and change a particular field to a particular value.

I don't know much about your form or what workflow you are using, so this is what I can tell you or now.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:22 PM
  • To clarify: within a SharePoint Designer workflow I use an action called "Assign a To-to Item". SPD asks for the title and description of the task. Let's say I specify title "T1". SPD then automatically generates a Content Type with the name "T1", and an InfoPath form for the content type. The form contains two read-only fields - the title and description, as well as two buttons - "Complete Task" and "Cancel". "Complete Task" submits to host. "Cancel" just closes the form. I have not modified the form except for some formatting. The question is how to modify (if possible!) to allow changing of the Status field, but without changing the completion status from the workflow perspective? For example, user sets the Status to "In progress", but the task should not be deemed completed yet, and the workflow should not advance to the next step.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:42 PM
  • You can make a new list in the Form Library with the required options and program your workflow to work according to changes in that Column.

So lets say you make a new column in your Form Library named "Task Status" and then the options to select for the reviewer will be probably "Started", "Completed". Now with these values you can use if-else conditions to make your workflow work like you want it to.

I just made a test form with just one field and a submit button. I published it to SP 2010 and then added an extra column(as told above) for the reviewer to work on. When the task is assigned to the reviewer he/she will change the value of this Column rather than the workflow status. So this column has 2 values only as above.  Here is what I did for the Workflow

Wait for the Task Status  to be not empty

if Current Item: Task Status  is not empty

if Current Item: Task Status  equals  Started

Set Workflow Status to In Progress

else if Current Item: Task Status  equals  Completed

set workflow status to Completed

then Stop the workflow and log the workflow Completed

Everything that is underlined is the same as it comes in SPD after you replace Field or value or message with the actual variables.

It works for me everytime and takes like less than 10 minutes to complete this workflow design. It should work for you too. If not tell me and I'll see what I can do

• Edited by gtarun Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:21 PM Typo in suggested workflow
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:20 PM
  • You can use other commands like Assign a to-do items around this to complete all the task you need to. Like you can make the workflow to start automatically when at item is created. In the very first step you can assign the task to the user/reviewer and then wait for the field to change.

Also the Stop button that you are trying to have will not interfere with this as then there will not be any new item created in the list and the button is only working on the form and not the list.

Don't forget to mark my replies as useful or as answers if they help you.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Just checking if you got the solution to your questions or not.
    Learning with everyone
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Not quite. My question is not how to keep the workflow status in sync with the task status. That is not a problem at all. The question is how users can change the task status. One option would be with the datasheet view, but I would also like to give them an option to set the status in the task form. Like in the old regular aspx task edit forms.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:26 AM
  • This is what I usually do. I make a new column in my form library with the name "Tast Status"(Drop-Down Box) and put the required values for the tasks like "Started", "Not Started", "Waiting on Someone Else", "Deferred", "Completed" etc. In my workflow I keep the conditions as I suggested to change the workflow status according to the Task Status.

Now I believe for each form that is submitted you'd have a different task. So whenever a user has to change the task status they can just go to the  Form Library and click on the required form and change the Properties of that particular Form and not any other. This they can do by clicking the edit properties button on the SP Ribbon that shows up when an item is selected.

From that edit properties link the user then would be able to change the task status to anything from here and the workflow can wait till the time this particular field is changed (as I stated in the 1st reply).

I would say this would be an easier way to achieve the required goal(As I Understant it) to get all the task status covered without doing a lot of programming or mind-boggling tricks with SPD. If you do find any other solution somewhere, please share it here.

Learning with everyone
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:40 PM
Welcome to Office 365 APIs | Microsoft Docs
Skip to main content

Office 365 APIs

This site contains the documentation for Office 365 REST APIs exposed on the OneNote and Outlook endpoints. The documentation is no longer actively updated. It is here for your reference, in case you have already included any of the API in your project.

Office 365 services, such as OneNote, Outlook, Excel, OneDrive, Microsoft Teams, Planner, and SharePoint, are now exposed in Microsoft Graph. Microsoft Graph is a unified API endpoint for accessing data across Microsoft 365, which includes Office 365, Enterprise Mobility, and Security and Windows services. It provides a simplified developer experience, with one endpoint and a single authentication token that gives your app access to data across all these services.

Our recommendation:

• If you are starting a new app, please use Microsoft Graph.
  • If you are maintaining an existing project, use this documentation set for reference. In addition, plan your move to the latest APIs in Microsoft Graph to take advantage of all the new functionality and innovation there.
  • If you are adding new functionality to an existing project, integrate that new functionality by using Microsoft Graph.

With Microsoft Graph, you can access Office 365 data and more, from solutions across mobile, web, and desktop platforms. So whether you're building web applications by using .NET, PHP, Java, Python, or Ruby on Rails, or creating apps for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), iOS, Android, or on another device platform, it's your choice.

In this section