none
VBA SaveAs not correctly working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an excel file which refreshes (connects to the SQL Server) & calculates automatically when opened. I then use a SaveAs command to save these changes to another file which I then use to send to a few people.

This works fine when I run it normally i.e. open the file myself and see the events occur but when I create a task within the task scheduler the SQL updates never stick to the file (or the old for that matter).

Ive placed a couple of test values such as set one of the cells to 1 to see if its working and it does but the SQL updates that I need never update to the spreadsheet.

This is the code that I have:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Calculate

If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "South_Report_Pack.xlsm" Then
    'Range("A1").Value = 4
    Workbooks("South_Report_Pack.xlsm").RefreshAll
    Calculate
    Workbooks("South_Report_Pack.xlsm").Save
    Workbooks("South_Report_Pack.xlsm").SaveAs Filename:= _
          "C:\Users\JasR\Documents\South\South_Update.xlsx", _
            FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook, CreateBackup:=True, ReadOnlyRecommended:=True
    Workbooks("South_Update.xlsx").Save
    End If

If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "South_Update.xlsx" Then
    Save
    End If

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Application.Quit
    End Sub

Can anybody see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Jas

Friday, November 4, 2011 8:28 AM

Answers

• The next step is to determine if the RefreshAll is completing in a timely fashion.  Is there a cell that you can examine before and after the refresh with  MsgBox's that will prove the refresh completed??
    gsnu201109
    • Marked as answer by Jas10 Friday, November 4, 2011 4:30 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I managed to solve it, it was indeed the RefreshAll that was not completing in time. I de-selected the Enable Refresh In The Background from the Data Options and now it completes the task before saving and closing.

Thanks for the taking time to reply.

Jas

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:30 PM

All replies

• First remove DisplayAlerts=False.

Perhaps Excel itself will tell us why the code is not working.

gsnu201109
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

I disabled the line of code, the message it stated was that Excel couldnt save the file in the format specified as it a contains macro. So i have changed it to a MacroEnabled workbook within the SaveAs. After re-running it, it displays another mesage stating that a file exists and whether I want to overwrite it. From what Ive read online Application.DisplayAlerts = False was meant to solve this issue, Is this true?. Either way, after re-enabling Application.DisplayAlerts = False the data remains the same.

Thanks,

Jas

• Unmarked as answer by Jas10 Friday, November 4, 2011 4:30 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:57 AM
  • The next step is to determine if the RefreshAll is completing in a timely fashion.  Is there a cell that you can examine before and after the refresh with  MsgBox's that will prove the refresh completed??
    gsnu201109
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I managed to solve it, it was indeed the RefreshAll that was not completing in time. I de-selected the Enable Refresh In The Background from the Data Options and now it completes the task before saving and closing.

Thanks for the taking time to reply.

Jas

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    gsnu201109
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:31 PM