none
Hidden columns dont come with content type when we add it to a list RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have created various content types in my web site. I am very strict about using content types becasue i can add them and remove them from lists and all fields are transfered with them.

I have a content type with many fields, some are Hidden, some are calculated, some are just normal. Due to a problem i had, i created a new list, enabled the managerment of content types and added the same old content type to the list.

To my surprise, none of the hidden columns were added to the list with the content type.

I made various tests, unhid the column then added to a list (It appears perfectly). so my only conclusion is: Hidden fields do not transfer with content types from list to list.

Now, can anyone tell me this is the intended behavior? and if yes, what is the point of Content types?!!!

I have hidden fields and they should transfer. Just because a field is hidden from end users, doesnt mean the field shouldnt transfer with a content type from list to list!! I mean this is why we create them and painstakingly stick to using ContentTypes in the first place no?!

My only solution until now, is to un-hide all fields in the site Content type, add the CT to a new list and then rehide them!!

My GOD.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:05 AM
  • I have also had this problem. On inspection with SharePoint Manager I can see that the fields have been added but they are not being listed.

SharePoint 2010

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hi MS,

Do we have answer to above question ? i am having same issue on my farm, any quick help is greatly appriciated.

Regards , Riaz.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Same issue - and easy to  reproduce.

Add a hidden field to a CT that is already on a list gives different behaviour to adding that CT to a new list.

In the second case the field is not visible on the list settings page and can't be added to any view, spfield on the list is created with hidden=true and CanToggleHidden=false.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Same issue - and easy to  reproduce.

Add a hidden field to a CT that is already on a list gives different behaviour to adding that CT to a new list.

In the second case the field is not visible on the list settings page and can't be added to any view, spfield on the list is created with hidden=true and CanToggleHidden=false.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Hi Kiu41,

When you add content type to a list, it copies the site content type to the list level, at List settings page - Advanced settings, you allow management of content types.

Then go back to List settings page, click on the content type to open Manage Content Type page, there you can click on column name to modify whether to make it Required/Optional or Hidden. The Hidden setting is associated with the List level Content Type only.

If you add the site content type to another new list, then all the columns will be visible to the newly copied List Level Content Type.

So the summary is, do not hide the site column at Site Content Type level, in stead, change it after you add the content type to a list, then hide it at list settings - Content Types - specific content type - Columns - specific column.

Regards,

Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Does this mean you cannot use the Content Type Hub, a custom base content type which have hidden fields, and still get the desired effect? (Desired effect being that in the subscribing site collection, document libraries with content types will not show the fields to the user, but they are still visible in GUI) If this is not the case, that is pretty wierd.

In our solution we have a Content Type Hub with all our content types. We also have one custom base content type which all the others inherits from. In this base content type we have added some columns that will be used by an external search engine, therefor they are set as "Hidden" on the content type. 

In the subscribing site collection we create a new site (based on a custom template), code adds many standard document libraries and adds the desired content types to those libraries. When we made the changes to the fields, all existing sites w/lists got the new fields in the list view, but not visible for user in forms and the Word panel. 

However, on new sites w/lists, these fields are NOT visible in list view.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi KristofferLN. Did you ever had an answer for your problem? I faced the same issue, and had to work to unhide some columns. That should have stayed hidden... I use a content type hub too...
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:44 PM
  • LoL 2018, SharePoint 2016, latest updates, the same bug.... no comment
    Friday, July 6, 2018 9:51 AM