none
Workflow stuck in starting state after applying SharePoint 2010 CU December 2012

Question

• I have custom visual studio workflow which are associated with Custom content type. workflow gets triggered automatically when a file is uploaded to SharePoint. Everything was working fine till when i apply the following CU

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joerg_sinemus/archive/2012/12/27/sharepoint-2010-and-december-2012-cu.aspx

After applying this my workflow get stuck in "Starting" state.

No error were logged in 14 hive logs.

Thanks in Advance!

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:56 AM

Answers

• Nikhil,

In the end we opened a case at MS for this issue. There were to updates for workflows in the CU of december 2012. They were able to reproduce the issue on their own environment and is linked with required fields (at least in our case)

If you set the required fields to non required the workflow goes into progress without a hitch, and for some reason it is not linked with the "Lines of tekst"

They will have to provide a hotfix for this issue, but since it's a fairly fresh CU there will not be that many customers who implemented it.

I've posted more explanation on my blog: http://blog.droogendijk.be/
    • Edited by Leendert Dr Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:20 PM added link
    • Proposed as answer by Leendert Dr Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Nikhil,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.  There might be some time delay, appreciate your patience.

Meanwhile, please try to restart the server and check result.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Nikhil,

We too experience the same issue but we're not sure if it's related to the CU of 12/2012 or the latest Nintex build. Keep me posted if you received a solution or not.

Kind regards

Monday, February 04, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Same here.  Installed the latest CU and our workflow broke.

Was able to re-create the workflow on another library but after a few hours of testing... it started getting stuck on "Starting" again.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Haivng the same problem.  CU update performed on Monday FEB 4th and all new auto start workflows are hanging in the Start mode.
    • Edited by rms100 Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:36 PM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi,  I'm having the same problem with a simple SharePoint Designer workflow.  My workflow was designed in SharePoint Designer 2007.  I have not yet installed the Dec 2012 CU.  Everything is working perfectly for users with XP and office 2007.  All users with Windows 7 and office 2010 have an issue with the workflow stuck with status of "starting".   

This has been a problem much earlier than the Dec 2012 CU and it's not only related to custom visual studio workflows.  I've been experiencing it since mid summer 2012.   
    Monday, February 11, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Nikhil,

In the end we opened a case at MS for this issue. There were to updates for workflows in the CU of december 2012. They were able to reproduce the issue on their own environment and is linked with required fields (at least in our case)

If you set the required fields to non required the workflow goes into progress without a hitch, and for some reason it is not linked with the "Lines of tekst"

They will have to provide a hotfix for this issue, but since it's a fairly fresh CU there will not be that many customers who implemented it.

I've posted more explanation on my blog: http://blog.droogendijk.be/
    • Edited by Leendert Dr Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:20 PM added link
    • Proposed as answer by Leendert Dr Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Do we know if there is a hotfix for this yet?
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:38 PM
  • We also have exact the same problem. Any news on the hotfix?

Seems like the fix didn't make it to the CU of April either...

Additional information:
    It seems that this behavior is related to Checkin/Checkout.
    Whenever you give a default value to the Required field, no checkin option appears during the upload of a new item and the "Starting-bug" doesn't show.

We did some more tests on this, enabled checkin/checkout for the document library and set the Required fields to Optional.
    Now we wanted to edit an item. After checking the item out, editing it and checking it back in, the workflow status is "Starting" again.  You can only check this by selecting the workflow option on the item itself. The library view only shows the status of the last succesful workflow.

• Edited by Roger Beulen Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:11 PM additional information
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Same for us. I had to remove document check-out feature and change required fields to optional for workflow to start automatically again.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I am also having this issue!  Has MS released a hotfix for this yet?  It is really causing problems for our workflows.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Same here, hope Microsoft Releases a patch for this soon.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:40 PM
  • We have the same issue in our organization.  We did not apply the December 2012 update.  It occurred after we applied the February 2013 (SharePoint 2010) update to our Staging environment.  Now our workflows on libraries with content types (all which have required fields) no longer start automatically.  We are holding off any any Production updates until we see a fix for this.  I just checked the list of fixes for the April 2013 (SharePoint 2010) cumulative update, and I did not see this issue mentioned (or fixed).  
    Monday, April 15, 2013 8:25 PM
  • We had contact with Microsoft about this issue. They have reported the problem excists in the following CU: December 2012, February 2013 and April 2013. Currently there is no hotfix available for this problem. Our ticket is still open and under further investigation.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Ruud,

I've got answer from MSin regards to this issue, they said that it probably will be included in the June CU, but they couldn't guarantee it.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:27 AM
  • Our Workflows were working even with CU December 2012. Things got broken after we installed KB2687418.

EDIT: Sorry we have October 2012 with KB2687418 installed. (14.0.6134.5001)

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:59 PM
  • It took me a while but I came up with a work around.  There is a PowerShell script below that can be used to trigger the workflow.  Hopefully this will hold all of us over until the official fix arrives.

1. First remove the auto start on change or new from the affected workflow
    2. Edit the script below to match your environment
    3. Add the script to Windows task scheduler with the PowerShell.exe in the command line
    4. This assumes PowerShell.exe is in the path
    5. Then add the full path and script name in the add arguements text box

Script:

#The purpose of this script is to start the SPD workflow with the windows task scheduler for a trigger
    #This should avoid the check in-out issue caused by the December 2012 SP CU patch
    #This needs to be run on an account with membership in the farm administration group for SharePoint and Shell in SQL
    #You can use a find and replace to replace the server and other names with your actual names
    #There are no status messages being used since this will be a scheduled task in the Windows task scheduler
    #
    #
    #Add SharePoint modules and create variable space
    add-pssnapin microsoft.sharepoint.powershell
    start-spassignment -global
    #
    #Open the web site, list and the workflow
    $site=get-spsite %site url%"
    $web=get-spweb %Web url%
    #
    #Open the %affected% library or list and workflow association
    #
    $%affected%=$web.getlist("%affected%")
    $manager=$site.workflowmanager
    $culture=[system.globalization.cultureinfo]::currentculture
    $wfname="%affected workflow name"
    $association=$%affected%.workflowassociations.getassociationbyname($wfname,$culture)
    $data=$association.associationdata
    $wfrunoption=[microsoft.sharepoint.workflow.spworkflowrunoptions]::synchronous
    #
    #Start workflow
    #
    foreach ($item in $%affected%.items) {
    $site.workflowmanager.startworkflow($item,$association,$data,$wfrunoption)
    }
    stop-spassignment -global

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:49 PM
  • A fix for this is available now from Microsoft Commercial Technical Support.  As of April, 2013, if you're affected by this, you'll want to call Microsoft support, open a free case with the SharePoint Admin team, and they can provide this fix.   The fix is not included in the April 2013 CU.   I assume it will probably be rolled up into the June 2013 CU, but that's speculation on my part.
    • Proposed as answer by C. T. Haun Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:16 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi there,

We have just installed the April 2013 CU - and we've experiencing the same problem.  Do you know how I'd go about contacting MS Commercial Technical Support in order to get the hotfix?

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:22 PM
  • I used the support ticket option within my TechNet subscription service. If your company has an Enterprise Agreement, you could probably use that instead. Once you advise them you need the hot fix, they should not count it against your support allotment.  I would probably want that in writing just to be on the safe side.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Did you get a kb number or a some sort of ID from MS, so I can reference that when I contact them?

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 9:12 AM
  • I dug through my emails and don't see a kb number anywhere.  The only numbers I found were the kb for the April 2013 CU which needs to be installed before the hot fix.  The other number is my service request number which I doubt would be useful.  Sorry, Jim

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:17 PM
  • There is no kb article on it yet.  When you open a case with Microsoft Support, insist that it's a well known bug and that you're just interested in getting the fix for it.  I'd say start at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/935/en-us.  They shouldn't charge you for a bug case. But I'm not sure how that works. 

Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:56 PM
  • It appears the bug will be fixed in the June 2013 Cumulative Update
    Monday, May 06, 2013 10:12 PM
  • There are 3 possible solution/workarounds for this issue now, all provided by Microsoft.

Create a support case at Microsoft and they will provide you with the following solutions:

1. Install April 2013 CU and a COD that will provided to you over ftp.
    2. Use a powershell script they created and let it run as sheduled task.
    3. Wait for the June 2013 CU that will include the fix.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:34 AM
  • We can confirm that solution 1 solves the bug
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Ruud, don't forget to mention the fact that if they apply the June CU the changes that this particular hotfix applies are roled back once you install SP2 for SharePoint (I guess it was too late for this hotfix to make it to SP2) so to reapply the hotfix just install the June or later hotfix.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Leendert, Microsoft did not gave me that information. It sounds odd to me if they do not include the April and June CU in SP2. It will not be in the beta cause that is out already, but i guess it will be in the final product. If not they introduce this workflow bug into SP2 and then many companies will get this problem. Maby they will bring out SP2 together with a CU that includes the April and June patches, just they did with SP1.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:25 AM
  • hi, just now June 2013 CU for SharePoint 2010 has been released

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2013/06/12/june-2013-cu-for-sharepoint-2010-has-been-released.aspx

I can confirm that CU solves the bug

Ing. Rodolfo A. Beristain A.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:27 PM
  • Microsoft Support also confirmed to me that the fix for this issue is in the June 2013 CU.
    Monday, June 17, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Installed June 2013 CU and it seems to solve the problem. New workflows seems to work fine after the June CU installation. But I have a question concerning in "starting" state workflows. A lot of workflows are still in the state "starting". Any easy way to get them cancelled and restarted or changed into "in progress". Talking about 100 - 150 workflows in a document archive with several folders. Will require a lot of work to find them all and restart them manually.
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:45 AM
  • I am experiencing similar issues with a Nintex Workflow on SharePoint 2013.

Workflows that are setup to automatically run when items are modified (given a certain condition) execute on a development server (build 15.0.4481.1005).
    When executing the same workflow in the same manner on another development server (build 15.0.4551.1001) the workflow get stuck ‘starting’.

Anyone have any experience with this issue on SharePoint 2013?

Thanks in advance

Friday, March 14, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Can you specify if there is any hot fix that solves this issue? other than the CU
    Tuesday, June 03, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether or not SP2 contained the fix for this in the end?

If not, what is the first CU after that to contain the fix?

Cheers

Carl

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether or not SP2 contained the fix for this in the end?

If not, what is the first CU after that to contain the fix?

Cheers

Carl

SP2 does not contain the fix, but the June 2013 CU does. If you haven't updated to SP2 yet, it's recommended that you first install SP2, then install the June 2013 CU on top of it. Kind of goofy, but it fixes the problem.

More details here.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 4:47 PM