none
App development model considerations in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am going to develop a medium size application in SharePoint 2013 with Visual Studio 2013. I have divided my project into several individual modules like- Module-1 for HR Process, Module-2 for Travel Process and so on. End of the day, I will merge all apps into a single project so that it can be hosted to any other SharePoint platform as a single application. There should be a scope to host any particular module only if it is required. I also want to keep a scope to host it on SharePoint Online in future. 

Could anybody suggest which model will be the best for this type of development? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Friday, May 12, 2017 3:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It depends on your resource skill set and environment availability with you. I assume that you wanted this add-in available with in SPOnline.

Here you need to relay on SharePoint stuffs such as Lists/Document Library as data source and Workflow for automation. You can leverage your resource skills on jQuery,Angular,ReactJS and REST Api along with SP related JSOM.In this case SharePoint hosted Add-ins best option for you.

If you have  SQL Server ,IIS or other Non Microsoft related server technology and Azure AD or onpremise user synchronized to Azure AD, then you can use the .NET MVC and SQL or other non microsoft technologies such Java or PHP. Then SharePoint Provided hosted add-ins is suitable for you.

Based on the above choices, choose either add-ins type.

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

• Marked as answer by pointtoshare Friday, May 12, 2017 5:26 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 12:06 PM

All replies

• I assume you have SharePoint 2013 on-premises, you can either develop FARM solutions or Add-ins to build your application. 

In case of FARM solution you can build each module under a specific feature and activate that only if required and deactivate if specific module is not required.

Add-ins you have two options, one is SharePoint hosted Add-in, here you can use the same approach as above but include only those features (modules) in the app package and deploy the Add-in. If you want to add a new module then include that feature(module) and upgrade your Add-in.  

SharePoint School | Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi Devendra,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I would like to prefer Add-in rather than Farm Solution as it has an impact on the Farm performance. In case of Add-in, if I go for SharePoint hosted Add-in, I will not be able to use Visual Studio or any other programming language. I also want to manage user permissions through custom user interface.

Would Visual Studio give me more facilities to achieve my goal?

Can't I do the same in Provider hosted Add-in what you suggested in SharePoint hosted Add-in?

Which one is the best approach in this context- SharePoint hosted or Provider hosted Add-in?

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

It depends on your resource skill set and environment availability with you. I assume that you wanted this add-in available with in SPOnline.

Here you need to relay on SharePoint stuffs such as Lists/Document Library as data source and Workflow for automation. You can leverage your resource skills on jQuery,Angular,ReactJS and REST Api along with SP related JSOM.In this case SharePoint hosted Add-ins best option for you.

If you have  SQL Server ,IIS or other Non Microsoft related server technology and Azure AD or onpremise user synchronized to Azure AD, then you can use the .NET MVC and SQL or other non microsoft technologies such Java or PHP. Then SharePoint Provided hosted add-ins is suitable for you.

Based on the above choices, choose either add-ins type.

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

• Marked as answer by pointtoshare Friday, May 12, 2017 5:26 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 12:06 PM