none
Only user who is assigned to can edit the task? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created workflow, the task is created in workflow is assigned to one user but another user that have Administrator right of the site can edit task.

I want only user that is assigned task can view and edit it.

Thanks in advance,
    Anne.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

•  

Hello Nhien,

Anyway, any content under site collection will not exclude the site collection administrator from permissions to operate. So, if you even want to forbid site collection Administrator to edit task, that seems impossible.

If you want to keep other common users (not administrator) unable to edit some specific task, you can just remove permissions of those users from those task items.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:34 AM

All replies

• are you using out of box worfklow or SPD workflow or custom workflow developed in Visual studio?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Adding to Anna's response, you will need to do this using some kind of security scheme (item level in this case).

This is difficult to do using sharepoint designer.  It's easier if you're using visual studio workflow.

This codeplex project might help you: http://www.codeplex.com/spdactivities

--Paul Galvin of EMC Consulting, New York area Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Blogging @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/pagalvin
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Does this help?

This will only work if you are using VS to create workflow.
    Amit
    • Edited by Amit V Monday, March 2, 2009 4:45 PM Additional information
    Monday, March 2, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for the responses, this is something I wanted to find out too.

Also, I have another question please allow me to ask in this thread.

I have 3 approvers for my workflow and I want give them permission to response to the tasks assigned to them (they can edit each other's task). Do I just click on the Task list -> List Settings -> Permissions for this list? Which one should I select: Design or Contribute permission?? Please let me know asap as I'm trying to do the setup now. Thanks!! Oh, my workflow is created using SPD.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Contribute Permissions should be sufficient for them to just Approve.

Design Permission would be needed if they want to modify the workflow..
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Thanks Mahesh. However, I'm still unsure whether I should add each user directly to the Task list or is it better to create a unique group for them with Contribute permission, then assign contribute permission to the group from the task list? How do I do that?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:14 PM
  • OOps wrongly Clicked the "Propose As Answer button"...

The best practise<in ur case, as they can edit each other's Task> is to create a group and assign the permissions to the group ..

If you have the feasibility and need you can create a AD Secure group and add it as a member to the respective list.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Please dont mind but I think going forward its better to create a separate thread for separate question.  Dont get me wrong but this may confuse users looking for answer similar to originator's question. Now there are two questions going parellel.

One which originator posted related to only assigned to user can edit the task

Second which you posted where you want multiple users to edit each others task and then there is a sub question regarding best way to achive that.

Lets keep this clean so that its easier to find the answer.
    Amit
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:52 PM

• Sorry I should open a new thread for my own question.

Thanks Mahesh for your response.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Hi Anna,

I used VS to develop the workflow, and I also read:

http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2008/01/workflow-tasks-which-can-only-be.html

but users that have contributor right of the site still can edit the tasks that not belong to them.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:29 AM
  •  

Hello Nhien,

Anyway, any content under site collection will not exclude the site collection administrator from permissions to operate. So, if you even want to forbid site collection Administrator to edit task, that seems impossible.

If you want to keep other common users (not administrator) unable to edit some specific task, you can just remove permissions of those users from those task items.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi Nhien,

You are developing workflow in VS then are you using aspx forms or infopath forms for task editing? In an alternative you can create a view which only lists the tasks assigned to the logged in user. you can do that by filtering the view by comparing assigned to field  to [Me]. Or if you are using aspx forms form for task edit the you can do coding for restricting other users from editing the task
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:22 AM
  • If you are using a custom task edit form for your workflow, just implement security on that page_load method. In my task edit form, I retreive the association data for the workflow, and then check to make sure the user accessing the page is allowed to via the association data, if not, I redirect to an error page.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:59 PM