none
MOSS SharePoint 2007 Service Pack 1 32 bit mssdmn.exe processes appear to be consuming all the CPU

Question

• MOSS SharePoint 2007 Service Pack 1, 2 server farm. One is a shared SQL Server 2005 box for the databases. The other is a 32 bit machine, 4 GB memory, 8 way 3.7 ghz intel pentium 4, running Windows Server 2003 R2. There are about 1500 potential users, there are around 1600 subsites spread over 2 content databases, and the total space on the server for the two content databases is around 260GB.

Today, the machine has been running at 100% a significant portion of the day. When I look at the task manager process display during one of these 100% cpu periods, the top processes are 4 or more mssdmn.exe processes.

There are other processes taking up less time - w3wp.exe, csc.exe, OWSTIMER.exe, PointCheck.exe, iexplore.exe, and others, but I see the mssdmn.exe running at 10-40% . Then, the process running the highest, after some period of time, drops down to the 10-15% and total cpu usage goes down to 50% or lever. After a bit, back up things go.

I have done web searches and I see older messages talking about hotfixes - but those were all before the SP 1 so I figured this is a different problem.

I don't see items in the event log about performance issues, but users are reporting the time to look at a list, display the contents of a list item, and even the time to close the display of the list item, as being in terms of 30 seconds or longer.

We have a mix of users on XP desktops as well as Windows 7 desktops, but nearly everyone is using Office 2010.

The Windows 7 users are reporting the worst of the performance. I did check with one of them, and the "automatically detect settings checkbox was on. I asked him to change that, and to restart his IEs, but he was working on some projecdts and so is waiting until he has time to make the change.

Are there some other things that should be done in a SP 2007 environment to account for Windows 7 users or Office 2010 users?

Monday, July 02, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Sounds to me that it is time to consider adding at least 1 server to the farm. The amount of users and data on a single SharePoint server is quite high in your scenario. if the mssdmn.exe process is taking too much CPU, then check if any Search crawls are running at the time.  The mssdmn is the Search Daemon process and inidcates heavy usage of either search crawlinr or search query processing going on in your system. It may be a good idea in your case to have the crawl schedules off-peak to allow more cpu resources to the web front end processes. If the crawls are not running at the time of high CPU usage, then a lot of your users ure doing search query's resulting in high CPU usage. If this is the case then you should consider adding an additional server to offload the search processes of the web application roles.

Als consider switching to 64bit machines.

Dirk Van den Berghe

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 8:27 AM
  • There are 2 of the mssearch.exe processes and about 5 or 6 of the mssdmn.exe running, but they seem to run a little while, stop, and other ones start. 

The system, set up before my time, is set up to start incremental crawling each hour, with a full crawl starting at 6pm each day, I think (I am at home and don't have access to the machine at this moment).

The mssearch.exe process(s) have more time than the mssdmn.exe processes - but the 6 or so dmn processes are taking 10-20 % cpu each during the short periods they run.

Are there some good general guidelines for how things should be configured? We have a potential of a thousand users, and more than a half million documents - not a lot of these changing per day, of course.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:13 PM
  • a setting that comes to mind:

Check your Office Search Service Indexer Performance Settings.
    High CPU usage happens often when the Indexer Performance is set to "Maximum" or  "Partly reduced". Try setting it to "Reduced".

The setting can be found here:
    Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server > Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings   >  Indexer Performance

Dirk Van den Berghe

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion. I checked this setting and it was set at partially reduced, so I set it to reduced.

I have read a few articles suggesting also that there might be issues of indexing processes overlapping.

When I go to Central Admin > Shared Services Administration > Default Web Site > Search Settings > Content Sources and crawl schedules > Local Office SharePoint Server sites ,

I see

Content source type: sharepoint sites

Current status: crawling incremental

Current number of start addresses: 2

Last crawled at: 7/5/2012 6:59 am

Errors in last crawL : 121

Start Addresses

http://mysharepointsite/

sps3://mysharepointsite/

Crawl settings: crawl everything under the hostname for each start address

Crawl schedules:

Full Crawl: 9pm every day

Incremental crawl: Every 1 hour from 6:00 am for 11 hours every day

What I can't tell is whether the incremental is finishing before the next one would start.

Is there a way for me to be able to tell this?

Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:26 AM