none
Your changes cannot be saved because the field has been updated by another user error message

Question

• I have a fairly simple database.  It only has a few tables.  The "Master" table has 4 simple one to many relationships to 4 other child tables.  The "Master" table has two memo fields designed to hold comment text.  The are named "Engineering_Section_Comments" and "Engneering_Section_History" respectively.  I realize that "Engneering" is mispelled, but that should make no difference. 

If I open a specific record in table view the word #Deleted appears in both fields.  If I try to edit either of those two fields, I get the following errors.

"Your changes cannot be saved because the field 'Engineering_Section_Comments' has been updated by another user."

or

"Your changes cannot be saved because the field 'Engneering_Section_History' has been updated by another user."

There are no other users connected to this db, I have it open in exclusive mode.

Can anyone help me determine why this is occurring and how to fix it?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:45 PM

Answers

• tkosel -

Sorry for the delay - i'm still puking over this newest MS "interface"

It sounds like your db is corrupt. Treating this corruption usually has some variation on importing from your old database to a new one.

First option: try importing from old to new in its entirety

next, import the structure, then import the data from the old table to the new via query.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Peter,

I have tried importing, it will not let me import that table.  Tried the query method and same thing happens when I try to import the data.  Solved the issue by creating a new table minus the offending record, then copying and pasting the offending record to the new table, then renaming tables so the child records were still valid.  However, that still does not tell my what/why the problem is and why it occurred.

• Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Yeah, you can’t edit the fields because they’ve been deleted. But the table hasn’t had a chance to be refreshed yet.

You probably had that table open behind another open table?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:51 PM
  • I don't know the specifics of how/when the error originally occurred.  Point I don't understand is why wouldn't the table have been refreshed yet?  The db has been closed and reopened exclusively by myself.  Shouldn't the table have been refreshed?

How can I fix it?

I can e-mail the table if that would help.
    • Edited by tkosel Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Make a backup copy. Then, you might try a compact and repair.

If that doesn't work, then it starts to smell like database corruption.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Does F5 not make it refresh?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:29 PM
  • No.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:54 PM
  • tkosel -

It sounds like your db is corrupt. Treating this corruption usually has some variation on importing from your old database to a new one.

next, import the structure, then import the data from the old table to the new via query.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Is the "Master" Table:

* a local Access Table?

* a Linked Table pointing to an Access Table in another database file (known as the Back-End file)?

* a Linked Table pointing to a Table in another database eningine such as SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc...?

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van Dinh Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:01 AM Typos
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:27 AM
  • tkosel -

Peter,

I have tried importing, it will not let me import that table.  Tried the query method and same thing happens when I try to import the data.  Solved the issue by creating a new table minus the offending record, then copying and pasting the offending record to the new table, then renaming tables so the child records were still valid.  However, that still does not tell my what/why the problem is and why it occurred.

• Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Is the "Master" Table:

* a local Access Table?

* a Linked Table pointing to an Access Table in another database file (known as the Back-End file)?

* a Linked Table pointing to a Table in another database eningine such as SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc...?

Van Dinh

The master table is a local access table, on my C:\drive

The master table is in a back end under normal use, but I am accessing the back end directly in table view, not through the front end.

It is an access table.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:49 PM
  • >>However, that still does not tell my what/why the problem is and why it occurred.<<

Unfortunately, there are lots of possible causes: an interruption, a memory error, etc... can easily cause corruptions.

In my experience, Tables with Memo Field(s) tend to have more corruptions because the blobs for Memo Field values are stored separately from the record data (in the record, the Memo Field is stored as 1 16-byte value with pointer to the blob and the blob - which can be up to 2 GB - is the actual Memo Field value).

Van Dinh

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:40 PM
  • As Van says, the causes could be manifold. Therefore, the fix is not always obvious, or even capable of being explained itself.

One thing that worked for me on one database was to export it to a web database. Somehow passing through that software removed a “formatting problem”. Then import it into a fresh database from there.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Good that you got it working!

That we haven’t told you why this happened to your database is kind of the lesson. It’s not that we can’t tell, it’s that the possibilities are almost unlimited. Is there a microscopic flake of magnetic material missing from the disk? Or a flaw in a memory chip? Etc. Perhaps a voltage spike that flipped a bit? Perhaps a ahem bug ahem in the software?

The lesson I take from the issue is ‘backup.’

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:05 PM