none
SPD - Task assigned by System Account - Content Organiser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a document Library with approval.

I used the ootb sharepoint approval workflow and the email that gets sent out has the user name of the person who started the workflow. i.e. Task assigned by Tim Watkins on ..

I then created my own List workflow in SPD using the 'Start Approval Process' , when the user starts the wf the email has 'Task assigned by System Account on ..' . The workflow's email definition is [%Workflow Context:Initiator%].

How can I get the user name here? Should I simply use document created by ?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I understand that the email send to the approver show that the System Account assigned the Task. When using the workflow created in browser, the email and the modified by column will show system account.  When creating workflow in SharePoint designer with ‘Start Approval Process’ action will use the workflow initiator’s credentials to send the email and modify items. If  you are using the impersonation step, the actions will use the workflow creator’s credential.  So make sure that you are not using impersonation steps and start the workflow using another account other than the system account.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi

Just a bit confused over :

If  you are using the impersonation step, the actions will use the workflow creator’s credential.  So make sure that you are not using impersonation steps and start the workflow using another account other than the system account.

I havent used impersonation steps, I simply added Action > Start Approval Process.

Shouod i be using 'impersonation steps' ?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I don't think you are using Impersonation Step. Then you need to make sure that the workflow are not started by the system account.

Or you can change the email content in designer: change the workflow:Initiator to current item:Created By.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Hi

The workflow starts when a user uploads a new document. The approval workflow is set to start automatically.

In this case would you say that the workflow is started by system account ?

I dont understand why ootb works and the one I created does not. No changes in how I'm using it.

Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi Also System Account appears on the task form.. There must be a way to run this correctly. Any ideas ?

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Can you confirm that who uplaoded the document which triggered the workflow? Is that system account who are currently login?

If not, your workflow may have been modified. Open the workflow in SharePoint deisgner. Click on the Task form to edit it in InfoPath designer. Select the Request By column and click Manage Rules in the ribbon. Check whether there are any rule which set the Request By column value to System account. Check the form load rule also.

Then publish the form back to SharePoint and have a test again whether the Request By are showing the user name correctly.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi

How can a system account be logged in.. dont understand this..

I have some more news though.. System account appears in the emails/forms when the workflow is run when I have the 'Start workflow automatically' checked in SPD. When unchecked, and I (Jones) manually start the workflow it works.i.e. the emails contain jones in the message and not system account.

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Hi

i think I've worked out the problem but dont know how to fix.

I'm using Conent Organiser to manage my content. This prevents the workflow from autostarting. So i installed a feature called 'Fire Workflows in Content Organizer Site'. This fires, workflow starts but shows 'sytem account' in email.

http://sp2010workflowfix.codeplex.com/

Is there a cure ?

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Since you are using Content Organizer rule to move the documents, the workflow will not start automatically. I think it is the codeplex project which will start the workflow with system account. You need to change the user in the email from initiator to Created By. Or you can fill a fixed user name there too.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your response. I've looked into the Approval workflow in more detail. There are many instance where this ootb workflow uses 'workflow:Initiator' and changing them all may lead to unforseen problems and it will all need to be tested which will take time.

This should be fixed at the root cause. I'm surprised that no fix is available. Microsoft should at the very least provide a Feature that works.

Can this be escalated and resolved?

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi

Is there anyone can assist with this pls? I'm now experiencing inconsistency with wf starting up when using http://sp2010workflowfix.codeplex.com/ .

Recently upgraded to latest patch. If I cannot get this to work I will have to drop either the workflow or Content Organiser all together!!

Thanks

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a similar issue, you can refer to this post for the updates to solve this issue:

What is the deault content type for SharePoint Libraries: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomizationprevious/thread/2721e369-834e-466a-99ae-2d5a808b1159/

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:03 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for assisting once again. I cannot see how the link provided helps me or relates to issue i have. Could you explain ?

Is this something that will be fixed ?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:55 PM