none
Outlook 2003 Address Book (GAL) custom features RRS feed

• Question

• I've perused the forum and didn't find exactly what i was looking for.  if there is a thread that might help me, please point me to it.  otherwise...

I want to be able to customize the address book feature in outlook 2003.  ideally, i'd like to add a custom option to the right click context menu of a user in the Global Address List.  It looks to me like the Address Book stuff is a plugin or addin, and not available in the outlook object model.  is there anyway to achieve this at all by modifying the plugin or would i have to create a complete custom address book, and turn off the default one somehow?

I have very little microsoft (C#) development experience, so any direction at all would help.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• Customization of the address book dialog is not supported except with whatever is exposed in the SelectNamesDialog class.

The customizations would only apply when the dialog is called from your code. They wouldn't be applied if the dialog is opened by other code or by the user.

The SelectNamesDialog class is returned when you call NameSpace.GetSelectNamesDialog(). You display the dialog by calling the class Display() method.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Kevin SE" <=?utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gU0U=?=> wrote in message news:4d87027d-3c5e-4329-a350-e711a2717912...

I've perused the forum and didn't find exactly what i was looking for.  if there is a thread that might help me, please point me to it.  otherwise...

I want to be able to customize the address book feature in outlook 2003.  ideally, i'd like to add a custom option to the right click context menu of a user in the Global Address List.  It looks to me like the Address Book stuff is a plugin or addin, and not available in the outlook object model.  is there anyway to achieve this at all by modifying the plugin or would i have to create a complete custom address book, and turn off the default one somehow?

I have very little microsoft (C#) development experience, so any direction at all would help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Ok, so is it possible for me to create my own 'address book' and have it behave similarly to the out of the box address book?  also, is it possible to turn off the out of the box one programmatically?
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:34 PM
  • You can create your own dialog and call it as you want, but to create an actual custom address book provider would require using Extended MAPI (unmanaged C++ or Delphi/Pascal only), which has a pretty steep learning curve.

You cannot "turn off" the standard dialog.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Kevin SE" <=?utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gU0U=?=> wrote in message news:a56d1e2e-b528-4fa4-a17b-48694c70aced...
    Ok, so is it possible for me to create my own 'address book' and have it behave similarly to the out of the box address book?  also, is it possible to turn off the out of the box one programmatically?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:38 PM
  • it turns out that i don't need to turn off the standard dialog, which is good since it's not possible.

I don't think I've explained my problem very well, but I think i have a better idea now.  

originally, i wanted to modify the standard address book dialog, but it sounds like i won't be able to achieve this, so all i really need to do is create a custom form that can display the contacts from the Global Address List, with an option to execute some custom functionality when a contact is selected.

does this sound more reasonable?

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:51 PM
  • That's a lot more reasonable, and completely doable. You can get the GAL as an AddressList object and iterate its AddressEntries collection, adding each AddressEntry object to your list displayed in a list/combo/grid or other control.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Kevin SE" <=?utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gU0U=?=> wrote in message news:81943184-51d4-4735-abfd-2a4bb14cdb56...

it turns out that i don't need to turn off the standard dialog, which is good since it's not possible.

I don't think I've explained my problem very well, but I think i have a better idea now.  

originally, i wanted to modify the standard address book dialog, but it sounds like i won't be able to achieve this, so all i really need to do is create a custom form that can display the contacts from the Global Address List, with an option to execute some custom functionality when a contact is selected.

does this sound more reasonable?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:55 PM
  • great, thanks for your help ken
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:18 PM
  • hey ken,

is there a way to circumvent the security warning i get when accessing the GAL?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:45 PM

• --
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Kevin SE" <=?utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gU0U=?=> wrote in message news:39a9e19d-44ad-4584-aee0-f5e4f2c34d16...

hey ken,

is there a way to circumvent the security warning i get when accessing the GAL?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:13 PM