Zooming issue with Windows forms controls on a Excel Worksheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have few windows form controls over a Excel Worksheet. The controls work as expected with Excel zoom @ 100%. But any zoom level other than 100 will not work, though the controls are enabled; I'll get a message saying "Windows forms controls are disabled."

I learnt from the following link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178765.aspx that its the limitation of Windows form controls on a excel worksheet.

Is there any workaround so that i can make these controls work with any zoom level?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Subhash Sreenivasachar.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:51 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi Subash,

I don't think there are any fixes made from Microsoft VSTO end.I had also same issue logged from Production clients. :(

Wait for some experts say on this.

Thanks

Dwipayan 

Dwipayan Das
    • Edited by Dwipayan Das Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:09 AM typo
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Hi Subash,

Thank you for posting and we are glad to help with you.

After reading your post, I did the test and also reproduced your issue. From the document your provided, I knew that the Winform controls are not recommended to use.

And here is the thread about the same issue for you to take reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/2e708a1f-d833-4db6-9085-183147e45894 , and some experts said it is by design.

I hope these can help you and feel free to follow up.
    Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Monday, January 17, 2011 6:55 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Thanks, Bruce.

I agree the behavior is by design of Windows Form Controls over Excel Worksheet. However, the link you provided isn't of much use for me. I still dont have work around for this issue.

Regards,

Subhash Sreenivasachar

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi Subhash

There is no workaround - the user has to work in Excel at 100% in order to use WinForms controls on the document surface.

BTW the better place to ask questions specific about the VSTO technology would be the VSTO forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/threads/

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by subhash.85s Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:41 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Thanks, Cindy

Regards,
    Subhash S

Monday, January 24, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Bruce,

You misunderstood the document Subhash linked to. It is only certain properties and methods that are not recommended for use, not WinForm controls per se.

Nathan

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:28 PM