none
sharepoint 2013 designer workflow dynamic email body from email template and replace [mycolumn] with current item [mycolumn] value RRS feed

• Question

• sharepoint 2013 designer workflow dynamic email body from email template and replace [mycolumn] with current item [mycolumn] value

can we get email body from sharepoint list template with email body like and replace brackets with current values? I was not able to do it. When I put [%Current Item: Title%] in email template list workflow treats it as text. Can we use rest to get list item and replace email template strings [] with current values?

Dear [CurrentItem crreated by],

Please approve this memo name[[%Current Item: Title%]

Thanks

MCTS Sharepoint 2010, MCAD dotnet, MCPDEA, SharePoint Lead

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi.

check this if it will work with this version of SharePoint

https://spemailutility.codeplex.com/

Kind Regards,

John Naguib

Senior Consultant

John Naguib Blog John Naguib Twitter

Please remember to mark this as answered if it helped you

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:37 PM
  • also check this

http://www.enjoysharepoint.com/Articles/Details/apply-html-to-email-template-in-sharepoint-2010-designer-workflow-390.aspx

Kind Regards,

John Naguib

Senior Consultant

John Naguib Blog John Naguib Twitter

Please remember to mark this as answered if it helped you

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:38 PM
  • I will not be able to use https://spemailutility.codeplex.com/. I already know this and second one is what I want to avoid(need email template approach)

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:56 PM
  • I believe what you are trying to achieve is cant be done in SPD workflow. BUt love to see others solution - happy to be proved wrong.

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:56 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Did you want to add [%Current Item: Title%] in your email body in the list workflow?

If yes, please use the Add or Change Lookup button to add the value when you define the email message in the workflow.

If I misunderstood your issue, could you please provide a screenshot for further research?

Thanks,

Victoria

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:16 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

I want configurable email template like below, this email template resides in emailmessages list.(configurable)

1. Hello {CurrentItem: CreatedBy},
    3. Please review and approve {CurrentItem: Title}</a>.

What I want is when I use this email message pulled up from email message list in designer workflow for actual list, it should replace CurrentItem: Title with current item title.

But it does not work. The benefit of this approach is if I want to change email content, I just goto emailmessages list and change the content and workflow will take it.

But it does not work and workflow takes CurrentItem: Title as text.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Hi Amit,

I recommend to remove the {CurrentItem: CreatedBy} and {CurrentItem: Title} from the item value.

Because these characters will be considered as plain text in workflow as they are part of the values in the items.

You need to use Add or Change Lookup button instead in workflow and add those values through Lookup for String dialog.

Thanks,

Victoria

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:43 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this?  I would like to do as you have suggested:  Have a custom list with the templates and then replace the variables in a workflows...
    Friday, October 23, 2015 2:20 PM
  • Follow the below steps to make a dynamic email template.

1.You can get the email template from the List in share point designer.Put Placeholder tags like <User>,<contractenddate> in email template

2.Replace those place holders with current item value in Share point designer.There will be a function in designer Replace string with string in string (Output to Variable).It allows to replace the sub string or place holder in plain text subject or body you are getting from the List with the Current item Contract End date.Output this value to a workflow variable.

3.Set this Workflow variable in Email subject and body after replacing the placeholder values with current item values.

remember to take the text from list as plain text so that the place holder can be easily replaced.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:15 AM