none
Indexing isn't working RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tasked with fixing the SP crawl in an old Sharepoint 2013 server.  There are a number of event errors but i'm not sure where to start looking. I have included the contents of the event error in order to save space.  I can provide the entire event error if necessary.  Any ideas on where I should start on this one?

Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (2ecc9a88-5c16-4e75-92df-32990b00b256).

Reason: No active topology exists for : Search Service Application

Technical Support Details:
    Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.InvalidTopologyException: No active topology exists for : Search Service Application
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob

The administration component for application Search Service Application failed with exception Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.InvalidTopologyException: No active topology exists for : Search Service Application
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob (ID b334baf5-2015-4f4e-b771-2a491071923e) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

The start address http://sp.chameleonpower.com cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search_Service_Application', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Details:
    The parameter is incorrect.   (0x80070057)

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi trevoryour,

According to this error message: No active topology exists for : Search Service Application

I suggest you remove the search service application completely according to the article below.

SharePoint 2013: How to completely remove Search service application.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/48051.sharepoint-2013-how-to-completely-remove-search-service-application.aspx

After removing the search service application completely, you could re-create the search service application.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:40 AM
  • Sorry. got pulled away for another issues.  I'll pull up that article and give it a try.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:01 PM
  • I followed the link to the article and tried to follow it but i got hung up on the first step.  I'm not sure where to find the topologyid and the id of the first index componentid. 

$ssa=Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
    $ssai1=Get-SPEnterpriseSearchComponent -SearchTopology [TopologyID] -SearchApplication $ssa -Identity [ID of first index component]
    $ssai1

When I run the Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication  I get the results below.  I only see 1 id so not sure what needs to be entered in here.

Name                  : Search Service Application
    Id                    : 9a877a14-b948-41fb-b79d-ee2d0b259c07
    ServiceName           : SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsService
    CrawlTopologies       : 
    CrawlStores           : {Search_Service_Application_CrawlStoreDB_e5f72f20f8be41
                            7fab4486f5fb5154b5}
    ActiveTopology        : 
    SearchAdminDatabase   : SearchAdminDatabase Name=Search_Service_Application_DB_
                            6f0e8b8128344fe58afdd6e986657f88
    Status                : Online
    DefaultSearchProvider : SharepointSearch
    Properties            : {Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.SPPartitionOptions}

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:16 PM
  • I figured the IDs out.  I was able to remove the existing search components but when I reinstall it I get an error.  I checked the ULS logs and found the message below.  Any idea what this is pointing to?

Unhandled page level exception. Path: /_admin/search/TopologyAppSettings.aspx, Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object., Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.<>c__DisplayClass1.<PersistData>b__0()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchConfigWizard.UpdateIgnoreSPUpdatedConcurrencyException(String description, SearchConfigWizardUpdateDelegate updateDelegate, SearchConfigWizard searchConfigWizardToUpdate)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.PersistData()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.OnOkButtonClicked()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.SearchConfigWizardBase.MoveToNextPage(Boolean isOkButtonClicked)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.SearchConfigWizardBase.BtnOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs args)    
     at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.<>c__DisplayClass1.<PersistData>b__0()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchConfigWizard.UpdateIgnoreSPUpdatedConcurrencyException(String description, SearchConfigWizardUpdateDelegate updateDelegate, SearchConfigWizard searchConfigWizardToUpdate)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.PersistData()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.TopologyAppSettings.OnOkButtonClicked()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.SearchConfigWizardBase.MoveToNextPage(Boolean isOkButtonClicked)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Internal.UI.SearchConfigWizardBase.BtnOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs args)    
     at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) StackTrace: 
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll: (sig=9afccfd8-248d-4fb9-a01a-c8bacd6f7473|2|microsoft.office.server.native.pdb, offset=135DA)
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll: (offset=21F8D)

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:46 PM