none
Where is Microsoft.SharePoint.dll?

Question

• I'm new to SharePoint development and I've been asked to create a WebPart.  I found a video that describes exactly what I need, but it references the Microsoft.SharePoint dll.  Where do I get that??

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• On your SharePoint server here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\ISAPI

It can only be used on the server.

• Proposed as answer by Juanjose Monday, March 29, 2010 8:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Juanjose Monday, March 29, 2010 8:46 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2008 8:07 PM
  • I'm confused!  What I want to do is create an event handler for a list.  Are you saying that I can only work directly on the server?  I can't do my development work on another computer and deploy it when I'm done??

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:22 PM
  • You can add it as a reference and compile it. However, the code will not work unless you run it on a server which has WSS installed.

You can install WSS on your development workstation and test there, or you can get Virtual PC (free) and install it there and do your developement there.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 10:31 PM
  • That's what I would like to do.  Can you tell me where I can download it from?  It's not available to add as a reference from within VS.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:56 AM
  • You will have to get it from a server that has WSS installed on it.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:25 AM
  • It seems that WSS can only be installed on a Win 2003 server ?

In case we need Microsoft.Sharepoint.dll on a xp/vista development station, then we have the only choice of copying it from a MOSS 2007 installation... Not sure... If you have any clues :)

Trying to do what is described @ http://www.sharepointblogs.com/roni/archive/2007/08/18/moss-2007-creating-an-asp-net-application-in-the-layouts-directory-using-the-visual-studio-2005-plug-in-web-application-project.aspx

Skynalyzer2006
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:40 AM