none
Education Services in 2013

Question

• Hello,

I've been keeping a close eye on the 2013 Preview, and was fortunate enough to be able to start playing around with RTM the day it was released. Looking very good so far...

However, as mentioned in press releases and in the Preview there were Education Services features available. They don't appear in the RTM, nor do they seem to be in any way documented, but seem to be accessible through PowerShell.

I've used Install-SPEduSites and New-SPEduClass to get going, and it all seems to be working pretty well. I'm curious, though as to why it's not documented at all -- is this a finished product?

Or is this functionality to be introduced in a later patch of 2013?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

George Begbie | Software Consultant | MCPD SharePoint 2010 Application Development

Monday, November 05, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• George,

It seems that the Education Services is a full feature, but for some reason its not being marketed by MS.  Not sure why, but I was in the same boat on trying to find information on it as it looks like a great feature!

Here is a blog series I found that really details the feature, its a good read:

SharePoint Education - First Insights: http://blog.furuknap.net/sharepoint-education-first-insights

SharePoint Education - Features Detail: http://blog.furuknap.net/sharepoint-education-features-detail

SharePoint Education - Installing & Configuring: http://blog.furuknap.net/sharepoint-education-installing-and-configuring

Brandon Atkinson
    Blog: http://brandonatkinson.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Still no news from Microsoft about this feature?  I wish they would just come out and say either yes or no.  Any more news on whether this feature died a horrible death or not?

-E

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:59 PM
  • No, still no news about the use of the feature.  Also note the cmdlets have no help text, which often means Microsoft doesn't want you using them.  But we'll see, I'd give it another month or two.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Would love to see this feature coming out properly. As I work for a large UK college we operate both Moodle and SharePoint 2010 (from July will be 2013). One of the biggest challenges I come across for implementation and adoption is a lack of educational features, by the limited accounts so far this feature will be a massive step forward for student and lecturer adoption.

Don't forget to mark the answer that resolves your request as 'The Answer' so others may benefit from the resolution.

Monday, February 04, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I just came across this posting from Ray Flemming of Microsoft and his comment reads:

"My understanding is that those services, which are in the descriptions for 2013, weren't actually implemented, and so are unsupported. The team who were creating them isn't in existence any more, so I'm relying on info from ex-team members, but that's my understanding."

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/education/archive/2013/05/20/business-intelligence-in-schools-dashboards-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Correct, Education was a beta feature that was dropped before RTM and is not supported.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hi Brandon,

Education Services feature is present in SharePoint 2013 RTM. We are using RTM version, we have configured this feature in our environment. We have Created Classes, Study Groups in education services.

Regards,

Sachin

• Edited by Shinde_Sachin Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:01 AM Education Serivces
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Education Services is not an 'RTM' feature, but a beta feature with code in the RTM build.  It is not supported by Microsoft and should not be used.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:09 AM
  • That's what I thought -- I assumed that the "if it's not documented then it's not supported" rule was true here.

Such a shame though, MS had a good opportunity to build an out of the box set of features here (now that the SLK has fallen out of support). I expect there were reasons behind the features being dropped, but perhaps we'll never know.

George Begbie | Software Consultant | MCPD SharePoint 2010 Application Development

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:14 AM