none
Top Link Bar- The webpage cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully created a top link bar for my site but when I try to open it, it says that the webpage cannot be found. I know I'm missing a step in order to have the page work properly but don't know what that step is.

Can someone help?

Friday, September 6, 2019 11:27 PM

All replies

• Hi

What is the url for your top link bar? Please make sure the link does exist.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Hi, Josh,

I assume you are using SharePoint 2010, please set me right if that is not your scenario.

Please check the Url you filled in. Make sure you are using the correct full URL. 

If that does not help, please tell a bit more about how you configure your top link bar. You can upload a screenshot after your verify your account here. It will help us to get a better understanding of your issue. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:50 AM
  • When I created the top link bar I set the "type the web address:" to mimic what I've seen work on another sharepoint site, I am unsure if the web address "exists" though, that's my issue right now I believe. I think I need to create that somewhere else on my sharepoint site.

Monday, September 9, 2019 5:10 PM
  • Yes, SharePoint 2010.

I am unsure if my URL is accurate. I'm mimicking the address based on what I've seen work on another sharepoint site I have access to. I know when that one was set up there was one more thing done to maybe make that address so that when I type it into the "type the web address:" section that it will work.

When I created the top link bar I set the "type the web address:" to be the following "/sites/SpectrumB2C/AG.aspx"

when I try and click on the top link bar however, it tells me the webpage cannot be found. Again, I think I haven't created that url and that is my issue, I don't know how to create this and fix this issue.

Monday, September 9, 2019 5:13 PM
  • Hi, Josh

The format like "/SiteAssets/Forms" is a relative link. A relative link is an abbreviated URL based on the location of an object. In other words, it only works for content in your current site/server. 

For you scenario, i will recommend you to use absolute link (the full URL)instead. For example, please use URL like "http://contoso.com/sites/test/documents" . It is also easy to test the URL, simply put the URL in your browser to check if you can access the destination. If you can go to the correct page, then the URL is good. 

For detailed instructions of adding link, please check this official article:https://support.office.com/en-us/article/customize-the-navigation-on-your-sharepoint-site-3cd61ae7-a9ed-4e1e-bf6d-4655f0bf25ca#ID0EAACAAA=2010

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:35 AM