none
Using InfoPath to update a SQL database table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am new to InfoPath.  I have an InfoPath form, using a webservice to retrieve data from a SQL table.  I am providing the data to my end users in a repeating table.  My end users are accessing this form using InfoPath Form Services (SharePoint, in a browser).

I would like to provide my end users with the option to update the data in the repeating table. 

What is the best way to accomplish this?
    Herbert
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:52 PM

Answers

• The web service must be built to retrieve and submit data, and then you have to configure all the security in SharePoint for the double-hopping of credentials from the browser form to the DB via the WS.  This will require a few things:
    - Assuming the WS is already built to receive and submit, you will need to convert that data connection into a UDC file within a Data Connection Library
    - You will also need to setup a Single Sign-On application definition in Central Admin for the passing or impersonation of credentials from your form to the DB
    - You will have to modify the UDC file from step 1 so that it specifies the account that gets used to make the connection

I do not have all the steps and all the articles handy for doing each step, but I can tell you that I've done it and that it required several different blogs/articles to get me through each step.

Another alternative would be to purchase a 3rd-party product already built to do this for you that can be used for this form and every other form you may create.  It's called DBXL and is sold by Qdabra.com.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, July 17, 2009 9:23 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• The web service must be built to retrieve and submit data, and then you have to configure all the security in SharePoint for the double-hopping of credentials from the browser form to the DB via the WS.  This will require a few things:
    - Assuming the WS is already built to receive and submit, you will need to convert that data connection into a UDC file within a Data Connection Library
    - You will also need to setup a Single Sign-On application definition in Central Admin for the passing or impersonation of credentials from your form to the DB
    - You will have to modify the UDC file from step 1 so that it specifies the account that gets used to make the connection

I do not have all the steps and all the articles handy for doing each step, but I can tell you that I've done it and that it required several different blogs/articles to get me through each step.

Another alternative would be to purchase a 3rd-party product already built to do this for you that can be used for this form and every other form you may create.  It's called DBXL and is sold by Qdabra.com.
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, July 17, 2009 9:23 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:34 PM

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:51 PM