The site master page setting currently applied to this site is invalid. Please select a new master page and apply it

Question

• I have defined a new master page and set it as default for the main site.  Any time I create a new subsite it does not apply the new master page and defaults back to the default.master.  The Site Master Page Settings shows this error.

The site master page setting currently applied to this site is invalid. Please select a new master page and apply it
    The system master page setting currently applied to this site is invalid. Please select a new master page and apply it.

Now if I select "Inherit site master page from parent of this site" and "Inherit system master page" and click ok the site will use the new master page and everything is fine.  There is only one modification to the master page that was done so I know the master page isn't invalid.  Does anyone know the answer other than recreating the new master page. 

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:39 PM

Answers

• I have just found the source of my problems. Yours may be the same or similar.

I fixed the problem by saving the parent site as a template and including content. (But without any content in the site). I then used that site template for the new site(s)

Now, I get an error reported when the new site is first rendered, but a refresh shows the new site correctly.

Not quite sure yet what the complete solution is, but at least I am up and running.

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:01 PM
  • I finally got through to MS support on this.... after 4 promised callbacks (which did not materialize) and hours upon hours on hold.

They are telling me that it is a bug.

It appears to only occur when you create a site off the Team Site or Blank Site template.

They also said that they have given this bug a priority of "3", which means that is not a priority for them to fix and they will fix it if/when they have time.  Yep - master pages where supposed to be such a great feature of Sharepoint 2007, but apparently it does not matter all that much that they do not work properly.

They did mention a possible solution but I have not been able to get it to work.  This solution was to configure the publishing feature to be stapled onto all created sites (PublishingStapling\Feature.xml) by stapling it to specific site templates or specify TemplateName="GLOBAL" to staple it to all templates.

However, I tried this and it did not seem to work for me.  And this will not work for the Blank Site template because Blank Site has "AllowGlobalFeatureAssociations=False" in its site definition.

Something else I played around with and did seem to work was to go into the content database with SQL and put an insert trigger on the table "Webs" and upon adding a row, have it update the MasterUrl and CustomMasterUrl columns to use my custom master page.  This actually worked for setting the master page, but I didn't like having to touch the content database and it did not work for setting the theme, which I also wanted to set each time a site was created.  (There is a theme column in the Webs table, but setting it to the theme name does not quite work - using SQL Profiler shows that Sharepoint does a lot of other stuff when applying a theme to a site.)  But for setting the master page automatically, this may be a viable option for someone.

I do think I now have a solution though.  I took  Scot Hillier's source code for his "ThemeChanger" feature which can be found on CodePlex (http://www.codeplex.com/features) and made some modifications to it.  His ThemeChanger is as Sharepoint "feature" you can add so that each time a site is created, it automatically applies a specified theme to the site.

It was fairly simple to modify this code so that in addition to setting the theme, it also set the MasterUrl and CustomUrl attributes of the site at the time it is created.  This appears to make Sharepoint work as it is supposed to work with master pages and themes.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:00 PM
  •  

Here is the solution I prefer. 

First turn on the Publishing Feature for your site collection.  The publishing feature adds functionality for managing MasterPages.  In this case we'll take advantage of MasterPage inheritence.

Upload and apply a custom MasterPage to the root web of the site collection.  Now the problem can be defined this way "New sites do not automatically inherit MasterPage from the parent site-collection".

The code to fix this is very simple.  The hard part is the plumbing.  You need to create two features.  1) A feature to set the web's property CustomMasterUrl.SetInherit to true (code below).  2) A feature Staple that staples feature #1 to the site templates you specify. 

I'm not going to cover feature stapling here.  I learned how to do it by downloading Scott Hiller's code for the ThemeChanger from CodePlex.

Here is the code:

public override void FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)

{

try

{

using (SPWeb curWeb = (SPWeb)properties.Feature.Parent)

{

PublishingWeb pubWeb = PublishingWeb.GetPublishingWeb(curWeb);

pubWeb.MasterUrl.SetInherit(true, true);

pubWeb.CustomMasterUrl.SetInherit(true, true);

}

}

catch { }

}

Note: You have to add a reference to Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing and a using statment

using Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing;

This PublishingWeb is very interesting. If you think about it SPWeb would not be a sufficient object model for a web with the Publishing Features enabled. PublishingWeb is just a wrapper that extends the methods and properties you would expect for a web with Publishing Features enabled.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:36 PM

All replies

• Bab....running into the same problem.  Any chance you've figured it out?
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:07 PM
  •  

Hi guys,

Is there a solution to this issue?   I am having the same problem.   The top level site in the site collection is using a copy of the default.master with a custom name.   Nothing else has been changed on the master page, so I have a company.master page set on the top site which is an exact copy of the default.master.

I went into site settings and selected "Master page" under "Look and Feel".   Once on the site master page I selected my company.master page and selected the check box "Reset all subsites to inherit this Site Master Page setting".

This worked fine, all the sites in the site collection now have the company.master page applied.   When I create a new site within the site collection the new site is not applying the new master, ie it is not inheriting the setting correctly.   If I go into the site settings "Site Master Page Settings" I get the following two errors;

The site master page setting currently applied to this site is invalid. Please select a new master page and apply it.

The system master page setting currently applied to this site is invalid. Please select a new master page and apply it.

Any help appreciated,

Grant.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:24 AM
  • I think I'm following you right.  Have you tried exporting one of your sites that are using the correct masterpage and using it to create new sites.

Tom C.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:13 PM
  •  

Hi Tom,

I have not exported the sites, but you have given me an idea.   I will look in the current site templates and see if I can change the master page there.

I will let you know how I go.

Thanks mate,

Grant.

Friday, March 16, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Same problem here. Did you found a solution?

thx!

Monday, March 19, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Not yet,

I tried changing the current site template aspx files.   Inside the aspx files there is a statement with default.master in it, so I changed default.master to company.master, all this did was completely break SharePoint.   I changed it back and SharePoint was back up and running, but no solution yet.

Anyone in Microsoft have an answer?   Looks like an answer to this question could help your customers and make them happy customers!

Regards,

Grant.

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:49 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue here. Having to manually reassociate a master page to a new site is not something we want end users to have to know about.

If anyone has a solution, please let us know...

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:11 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem too.

I've tried it with both a custom master (mycompany.master) or by changing default.master.  Both cause the same problem - I get those error messages after creating a new site.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Make sure you have Approved/Published the Master Page you are trying to use.
    That is the only time I have come up with that error.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:47 PM
  • I've having the problem regardless of the master page i have choosen in the top level site. I've tried it with different master pages, and i've made sure they are published and approved.

I only get the error when creating collaboration sites, but not for publishing sites. Any ideas?

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:52 AM
  •  

I still have not found a resolution for this problem guys.

I made sure the new master page was published after I made it.

I imagine that if I made new site templates it would work if the new sites were made with the new templates, but the defaults are good enough for the company.   Seems a bit silly to save a copy of every site template just to set the master page.

Help!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:44 PM
  • I have a support call in to Microsoft about it.  I am awaiting a callback.  If they give me a resolution, I will post it here.

I exchanged some e-mails with an engineer at MS after I called in the case and he seems to think it is actually an issue with Sharepoint Designer, not Sharepoint server itself.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:02 PM
  • hi guy

I also have a problem with the master page, that is   I want to let each user' MySite use a same custom master page, not the default one. How to do that?  Does anyone know how to do so?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Has anyone got a fix for this?

I also have the problem. Anyone from Microsoft out there?

Mike Parris
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:10 AM
  • I have just found the source of my problems. Yours may be the same or similar.

I fixed the problem by saving the parent site as a template and including content. (But without any content in the site). I then used that site template for the new site(s)

Now, I get an error reported when the new site is first rendered, but a refresh shows the new site correctly.

Not quite sure yet what the complete solution is, but at least I am up and running.

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:01 PM
  • That doesn't really "solve" my problem - it might work around the problem, but I want it to work like it is supposed to work....

Right now, I can create a new site and then in Site Actions/Site Settings/Master page change the System and Site master pages to my custom master page and then it works fine.

Saving every template as a custom template would eliminate that step, but I don't want to have to have a custom template for every out-of-the-box template.  Doing that in SPS 2003 made the upgrade to 2007 difficult, so I would like to use the standard templates whenever possible.

I'm still awaiting a call back from MS support though.  I placed the initial call last Friday, and was told I would get a callback in 48 hours, which came and went.  Then I called in again about the case and was given another 48 hour window, which came and went.  So on Monday, it will be more than a week without a single callback on my case.  Not pretty.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:35 PM
  •  

Agreed JXJ,

This does not solve the issue.   Whoever changed the title to Fixed, please change it back.   This is still an issue.

Regards,

Grant.

Monday, April 02, 2007 10:16 PM
  • I am having the same problem after customizing the master page at top level.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:57 PM
  • If I ever get a callback from MS support and get any info, I will post it here....

Since last Friday (March 30), I've been given three "48-hour windows" and most recently one "24-hour window" for a callback, and received none so far.  The most recent was the 24-hour window, and that was about 36 hours ago....

I'll call again tomorrow - maybe I'll get a 12-hour window this time (which won't be much different than a 48-hour window, since I don't get a callback for those either).

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 3:06 AM
  •  

Haha, that's funny JXJ.

Keep it up mate, I am still looking for an answer to this issue and am looking forward to hearing your solution when it comes.

Regards,

Grant.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:35 AM
  • I finally got through to MS support on this.... after 4 promised callbacks (which did not materialize) and hours upon hours on hold.

They are telling me that it is a bug.

It appears to only occur when you create a site off the Team Site or Blank Site template.

They also said that they have given this bug a priority of "3", which means that is not a priority for them to fix and they will fix it if/when they have time.  Yep - master pages where supposed to be such a great feature of Sharepoint 2007, but apparently it does not matter all that much that they do not work properly.

They did mention a possible solution but I have not been able to get it to work.  This solution was to configure the publishing feature to be stapled onto all created sites (PublishingStapling\Feature.xml) by stapling it to specific site templates or specify TemplateName="GLOBAL" to staple it to all templates.

However, I tried this and it did not seem to work for me.  And this will not work for the Blank Site template because Blank Site has "AllowGlobalFeatureAssociations=False" in its site definition.

Something else I played around with and did seem to work was to go into the content database with SQL and put an insert trigger on the table "Webs" and upon adding a row, have it update the MasterUrl and CustomMasterUrl columns to use my custom master page.  This actually worked for setting the master page, but I didn't like having to touch the content database and it did not work for setting the theme, which I also wanted to set each time a site was created.  (There is a theme column in the Webs table, but setting it to the theme name does not quite work - using SQL Profiler shows that Sharepoint does a lot of other stuff when applying a theme to a site.)  But for setting the master page automatically, this may be a viable option for someone.

I do think I now have a solution though.  I took  Scot Hillier's source code for his "ThemeChanger" feature which can be found on CodePlex (http://www.codeplex.com/features) and made some modifications to it.  His ThemeChanger is as Sharepoint "feature" you can add so that each time a site is created, it automatically applies a specified theme to the site.

It was fairly simple to modify this code so that in addition to setting the theme, it also set the MasterUrl and CustomUrl attributes of the site at the time it is created.  This appears to make Sharepoint work as it is supposed to work with master pages and themes.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:00 PM
  • I had the same problem with support (or lack thereof).  This is a very poorly documented, poorly written, and terribly supported product from Microsoft.  The countless issues have turned into a serious nightmare for me and my team.  We've cut features to the point that the site is just a basic SharePoint site with minimal enhancements.  Once you start trying to customize the site you open up pandora's box and all hell breaks loose.

I'd wait for service pack 4 if you're reading this and thinking about using SharePoint as your solution.

Thomas Goddard
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - .NET
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:25 PM
  • I've had fairly good luck with MS support up until this time - I suspect they are swamped with Sharepoint support because it is a new and fairly complex product.

It did tick me off a little that they think it is not a big deal - and the support guy said they had a possible solution, but he couldn't give it to me because I was calling in using an MSDN support incident.  Basically, I was a just a peon.  (I did use a MSDN support incident, but my MSDN subscription is off our Enterprise Agreement, which costs us several hundred thousand).  I was told that if we had someone at MS called a "TAM" (and only big companies had those), that person could get me the information.  I finally convinced them to give it to me (that's the publishing feature stuff) and it didn't work anyway, at least not for me.

I like a lot of the features of Sharepoint 2007, but I question whether anyone at MS ever tried to actually use some of these features.  Inheriting a master page and theme is pretty basic - and I did find a blog that showed that this was reported as a problem well before it was released.  With such a long beta period for Sharepoint 2007, these things should have been found and fixed.

I think the product is an improvement over SPS 2003, but it seems like many parts of it are 90% there - just enough to give you almost want you want, but not quite exactly.

In addition to the master page and theme inheritance, a few examples off the top of my head:

- In the Content Query Web Part, you can't get links from a link library to open in their own browser window.  If you look at ItemStyle.xsl, the code is all there to do it.  It just doesn't ask for the OpenInNewWindow field when you set up the link.

- In the Content Query Web Part, you can't use the Bulleted List to display links from a Links list - it displays blanks.

- In the Table of Contents web part, if you tell it to only display sites underneath, it still displays the list "category" pages (Documents, Lists, Sites, People and Groups,etc.) from the subsite navigation, making it useless.  These aren't "sites", they are .aspx pages.  The only way to get rid of them is to go into each subsite and hide them from the navigation - why bother?  I still don't get how this web part is of any use to anyone or how it even got out of beta.

- If you use the Link to a Document content type in a Page library, when you display the pages from that library with the Content Query Web Part, it shows the ".aspx" at the end of the title!  So you create an item in the pages library like "Product Documentation" that is a link to a PDF file, and the CQWP displays it as "Product Documentation.aspx".  Sloppy!  I had to modify ItemStyle.xsl to get rid of it.

- There is almost NO documentation on the Data Form Web Part (formerly the Data View Web Part).

OK, that's enough venting.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for the DB trigger idea.  It worked like a charm!!
    Friday, May 04, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Yes, that appeared to work for me as well. I am by no means a SQL expert.

In SQL Server Management Studio (2005), find the content database. It should be the same name as when you go to Central Admin -> Content Databases -> select the port 80 web application, and look at the database name. Then click on the database to expand the tree, click under Tables, and find dbo.Web. Expand this and right click the triggers folder and do New...Trigger.

I used the following code, which is probably not right as I know nothing about SQL, but it worked:

CREATE TRIGGER (random_name)

ON Webs

FOR INSERT

AS

BEGIN

UPDATE Webs

SET CustomMasterUrl = '_/catalogs/masterpage/(replace with your custom.master)'

UPDATE Webs

SET MasterUrl = '_/catalogs/masterpage/(replace with your custom.master)' 

END

GO

Then hit execute.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Hi JXJ,

I am going to try Scot Hillier's feature option, but I don't have VS2005 setup for Web Dev with SharePoint at the moment.   Is there a chance you could post your modified Theme Changer feature?

I can organise it myself, but it will take some time, where as you probably have it sitting in a project easy to zip up and send.   Don't worry if it is a problem for you, only send it if it will take no effort and you are happy to.

Thanks,

Grant.

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:06 AM
  • When you create a subsite under parent site which uses custom master page. You need to go to Newly create subsite. Site action --> master page and select inherit from parent site option. Once you apply it. It will use parent site master page.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  

Thanks for your input Ayub, but what you have stated pretty much describes the problem, not the solution.

I am trying to avoid the extra steps, but I have not had time to try the solution posted above yet.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Grant.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:56 PM
  • As a SharePoint Developer, I'm sure I'll get a lot of huff about this, but you really should create an EventReceiver for Web creation to fix this.  It shouldn't be that difficult, and is easy to retract when the next hotfix / SP rolls out fixing this issue.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:10 AM
  •  

Could you tell us more about creating an 'EventReceiver for Web creation'?  Maybe post a link to a blog about creating an EventReceiver.

The problem I'm having is that I need all but the 'MySites' to use a custom Master Page.  The 'MySites' don't work with the Master Page our team has developed.  All the other site templates do.  We are considering making a seperate Master Page for MySites. 

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:32 PM
  • All :

This is a known issue with MOSS 2007.

See here :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936908

The good thing is there is a workaround for now as mentioned in the article.

Madhur
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:23 PM
  • The KB article gives two workarounds, but neither are ideal.

The first is to set the master page manually - that's not really a workaround - IMHO the benefit of a master page is to have it applied automatically so all my sites look the same without any user intervention.

The second is to enable the publishing feature on subsites.  Once again, this requires manual intervention after the site is created, plus I do not always want the publishing feature enabled on the subsites.

I used Scott Hillier's "ThemeChanger" feature at http://www.codeplex.com/features to deal with this.

Scott's ThemeChanger and ThemeChangerStaple can be used to automatically apply a theme when a site is created.

I made a few mods to it to also set the master page when a site is created.  I get the MasterUrl and CustomMasterUrl values from the feature XML file and then set them in the code.  Just insert this in Scott's code where it sets the theme.

Code Snippet

if (site.Url.Contains("/personal/") == false)  // not changing MySite

{

try

{

if (site.MasterUrl != ((SPFeatureProperty)properties.Definition.Properties["MasterUrl"]).Value)

{

site.MasterUrl = ((SPFeatureProperty)properties.Definition.Properties["MasterUrl"]).Value;

site.Update();

}

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

writeLog("Set Master Url error: " + ex.Message);  // I keep an error log

}

try

{

if (site.CustomMasterUrl != ((SPFeatureProperty)properties.Definition.Properties["CustomMasterUrl"]).Value)

{

site.CustomMasterUrl = ((SPFeatureProperty)properties.Definition.Properties["CustomMasterUrl"]).Value;

site.Update();

}

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

writeLog("Set Custom Url error: " + ex.Message);

}

}

}

Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:33 PM
  • I have a recommendation on Branding:

Use Features (this is how MOSS achieves it after all!)

I would suggest you design the following Features:

Master Page and Style Sheet Feature (Site Collection Scope)

- Automatically copies the Master Page into the Site Collection's Master Page Gallery

- Automatically copies the CSS files into the Site Collection's Style Library

This can be achieved with simple elements in a Feature .. should be pretty simple.

Branding Feature (Site Scope)

This would be an effectively EMPTY feature.. that includes a Feature Activated Event Handler.

Using that, you could use the following C# code in your "Feature Activated" event:

Code Snippet

// Get the current "SPWeb" object

SPWeb web = SPContext.Current.Web;

// change the Master Page and Alternate Style Sheet (if you have one)

web.MasterURL = "~/_catalogs/MyCustomMasterPage.master";

web.AlternateCSS = "/Style Library/MyCustomStylesheet.css";

// save changes

web.Update();

You then simply need to "Activate" this event and it will change the master page and style sheet.

Now .. if you need this to work for built-in sites too then you can also use Feature Stapling and "staple" your Branding Feature to all of the built-in features.

Otherwise .. if you have custom Site Definitions, just include this Feature in your Configurations "WebFeatures" nodes.

Either way you can be sure that your Feature will be activated when a new site is created (which then executes your code, and applies the branding).

regards

MK

PS - I see the same error message all the time ... to be honest I tend to ignore it.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  

Yes, that appeared to work for me as well. I am by no means a SQL expert.

For heavens sake NEVER EVER EVER do this.

Messing around with the SharePoint database is a one way trip to a corrupt system!!! unless you happen to be one of the people who designed SharePoint .. to say that the SharePoint content DB is a can of worms is an understatement!

There are far more elegant (and easier) solutions than using SQL triggers !!!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:30 AM full quote removed
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Thanks JXJ,

This was very helpful and it lead me to another potential soltuion - if you want to control just the master page and not the theme.

Scott's info pointed at an article about how to use a Feature to "staple" your custom master page to a specific site template, so that the Master Page gets applied upon site provisioning.

This article talks about MySites in particular but the method could be used for any site template, and you could control which master pages get applied for which templates.  In my case I want to apply my master page to all sites but the MySite.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/22/customizing-moss-2007-my-sites-within-the-enterprise.aspx

I think this approach is little better because the Feature makes sure the master page you want to use is uploaded in the site collection before trying to apply it.

If I come up with something good I'll share it.

3Ben

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:03 PM
  •  

Here is the solution I prefer. 

First turn on the Publishing Feature for your site collection.  The publishing feature adds functionality for managing MasterPages.  In this case we'll take advantage of MasterPage inheritence.

Upload and apply a custom MasterPage to the root web of the site collection.  Now the problem can be defined this way "New sites do not automatically inherit MasterPage from the parent site-collection".

The code to fix this is very simple.  The hard part is the plumbing.  You need to create two features.  1) A feature to set the web's property CustomMasterUrl.SetInherit to true (code below).  2) A feature Staple that staples feature #1 to the site templates you specify. 

I'm not going to cover feature stapling here.  I learned how to do it by downloading Scott Hiller's code for the ThemeChanger from CodePlex.

Here is the code:

public override void FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)

{

try

{

using (SPWeb curWeb = (SPWeb)properties.Feature.Parent)

{

PublishingWeb pubWeb = PublishingWeb.GetPublishingWeb(curWeb);

pubWeb.MasterUrl.SetInherit(true, true);

pubWeb.CustomMasterUrl.SetInherit(true, true);

}

}

catch { }

}

Note: You have to add a reference to Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing and a using statment

using Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing;

This PublishingWeb is very interesting. If you think about it SPWeb would not be a sufficient object model for a web with the Publishing Features enabled. PublishingWeb is just a wrapper that extends the methods and properties you would expect for a web with Publishing Features enabled.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:36 PM
  •  3Ben wrote:

First of all, you have to turn on Publishing Feature for your site collection.

But doesn't that bring along "baggage" that may not be desired?  For example, I thought the Publishing feature then required all pages to be approved and published before they become available for all users. 

Friday, September 07, 2007 1:15 PM
  • JXJ,

I believe not.  Near as I can tell only "Publishing Pages" require content approval.  Your basic team site is still your basic team site.  However I have not fully tested.

Also consider that if you upload a Master Page to every single site you create instead of inheriting from the site collection you end up with a lot of independent instances of the Master Page.  In my case I have 160 site collections with untold subsites and growing every day. 

You bring up a good point though.  I don't understand why so many features have been "lumped in" with the Publishing Feature.  I may be mistaken but so far the only way I can get document-converters to work is to turn on the Publishing Features.  Now the same with managing MasterPages.  Hmm.

3Ben

Friday, September 07, 2007 5:20 PM
  • *still* no real resolution....yet. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936908)

I don't suppose anyone has had the enthusiasm to call MS and follow up on the case?? Whether it's still open or not is another question...

Friday, December 07, 2007 10:53 AM
  • Couldn't you simply take a backup of "default.master" and store it as "defaultcopy.master" and modify default.master directly?

Simply wondering.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:30 PM
  •  

Relative newbie here looking into MOSS to upgrade a basic WSS 2 intranet and am having the same issue on our dev system. However I seem to have been lucky enough to have it one step worse than most.

I see the same errors and can clear them by selecting Inherit parent master or by checking the Reset all subsites option. But no change is ever made... I still see the default master page on the site in question and any subsites I make from it. I'm simply selecting another out of the box master (have tried all of them) so there is nothing custom going on and everything is approved in the master page gallery at the root.  

I have Full Control, but is it a permission thing? I can't see why I'd have the same problem listed above but not be able to manually make the change in the master page settings page of a site while others seem to be doing so.

I can live with 'MS is working on the issue' and move on, but am I experiencing something different?

Thanks!

Chris

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:01 PM
  •                  

Nao estou consegindo baixar aluns vswr estou com o site master S331A

Friday, March 14, 2008 5:51 PM
  • This Microsoft KB has the solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936908

Basically this is the workaround that Microsoft recommends:

Manually set the site master page and the system master page that you want for the subsite.
    Activate the Office SharePoint Server Publishing feature on the Site Features page of the subsite.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:30 PM
  • As one of the previous posters has already mentioned, this describes the problem, not the solution.

The whole idea of master pages and their inheritance should be that you don't have to go into every new site manually and specify the settings!!

MS needs to address this properly instead of just posting a half-hearted manual solution.

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Has anyone come up with a solution for this?  Not the work around.  Does SP1 address this issue?

Thanks for any help

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Hi all,

I managed to fix the problem my end... not sure how well this will work for you though.

1. I disabled friendly messages on sharepoint using the instructions on the link below...

http://mysharepointhell.blogspot.com/2008/06/turn-off-friendly-errors.html

2. The error told me a had a placeholder missing, and on top of that told me which one i was missing. I completely forgot id removed a placeholder after trying to modify it and failing, and then not put the placeholder back into the hidden panel on my page.

After doing this is all came together and now works like a charm.

Hope this helps some people.

Also, MSDN has published the code for the barebones master page (which im sure you all seen before but this is for people that havent). It has all the required placeholders on to allow sharepoint to run happily.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa660698.aspx

Thanks,

Rob.

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:04 AM
  • The microsoft article is correct. To a point. 

"Activate the Office SharePoint Server Publishing feature on the Site Features page of the subsite"

This isn't enabled by default on team site template etc. The trick is to enable it by default so any new sites will pick up the master page of the parent.

The solution lies here,

I enabled it for all templates like so.

MyPublishingStapling.xml

<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">

<FeatureSiteTemplateAssociation Id="94C94CA6-B32F-4da9-A9E3-1F3D343D7ECB" TemplateName="GLOBAL" />

</Elements>

Feature.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <Feature  Id="001F4BD7-746D-403b-AA09-A6CC43DE7943"
              Title="My Publishing Features Stapling"
              Description="My Staple Publishing features"
              Version="12.0.0.0"
              Scope="Farm"
              Hidden="TRUE"
              xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">

<ElementManifests>
            <ElementManifest Location="Mypublishingstapling.xml"/>
        </ElementManifests>

</Feature>

Follow the commands in the article to load the feature and the all important iisreset. Remember to copy the MyPublishingstapling folder to all servers in your farm in the FEATURES folder. Spent 2 days trying to sort this and it was a killer!

cheers.

Moderator Note: do not propose your own posts as answers

• Proposed as answer by Damo A Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:26 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:27 AM Moderator Note added
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:42 AM
  • This thread is so long and has several *possible* answers in it so I am closing it (ie. locking it - I've marked several of the posts as an answer - they answered some peoples' problems at least)

It's also a thread that has had no sensible post added to it for six months (a reply about SP 2010 is not a sensible reply in these forums).

If you have this problem and nothing in the 50 post thread helps you, please start a new thread.

Moderator pre-2010 forums

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:34 AM