none
Impersonate Step disabled for Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Site Collection administrator. In SPD, in the process of creating a workflow, I see 'Impersonate Step' is disabled. In a webcast I went through, it was mentioned to perform this step to avoid issues with lookups and this step will run the workflow taking author in user context. Not sure why 'Impersonate Step' is disabled ? Am I missing something in understanding ? Can anyone please clarify. Thanks.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:08 PM

Answers

• It isn't always enabled.  You have to have your cursor in the right place on the workflow canvas for inserting an Impersonation Step.  If you truly are an SCA, then it should be available.  I use it all the time so that I can access the dynamic permission actions, but not for lookups, because that is dangerous.  If you run a lookup as the workflow author, then the user will see data they are not supposed to see.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Aleksandr Sapozhkov Friday, May 21, 2010 4:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by vmrao Friday, May 21, 2010 4:49 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• It isn't always enabled.  You have to have your cursor in the right place on the workflow canvas for inserting an Impersonation Step.  If you truly are an SCA, then it should be available.  I use it all the time so that I can access the dynamic permission actions, but not for lookups, because that is dangerous.  If you run a lookup as the workflow author, then the user will see data they are not supposed to see.
    • Proposed as answer by Aleksandr Sapozhkov Friday, May 21, 2010 4:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by vmrao Friday, May 21, 2010 4:49 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Thanks. Yes, It is visible when I select the whole step. Can you please brief on dynamic permission actions and how and when 'Impersonate Step' will be helpful. Thanks
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:15 PM
  • There's not much to it.  You add an Impersonation Step, and then new actions show up.  I typically use the Repliace List Item Permissions action, which removes all existing permissions and replaces them with whatever permissions you assign.  At this point, I typically give Contribute to the "user who created current item" and Approve or Full Control to an administrative group or team or individual.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Thanks, just one more clarification. Is there any reference which explains when to use 'Impersonate Step' etc., ?
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Thanks, just one more clarification. Is there any reference which explains when to use 'Impersonate Step' etc., ?

Not that I've seen, but there probably is one somewhere.  I've just used it where it makes sense, which is in cases where you need the actions to run as the workflow author instead of the user.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:10 PM