none
Wiki pages custom columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I create a wiki page library and add some extra columns, I don't get prompted for a value in these columns when I create a new page/edit an existing page...
    The only way to get to these columns is by navigating to "edit properties" on the page item in the library after creating the page.

Also when opening the page, these columns are not displayed, only the wiki body is displayed.

How user friendly is that, now users have to click even more to work with wikis...

I found that I could enable the publishing feature and create wiki templates from there, but it only works for the default wiki page library when activating that feature. I want to use it on my own wiki library, and I don't want to be limited to a single wiki page library.

Another solution (partly) I found was that I could edit the template in the SharePoint hive (folder 14) to display the columns when viewing the wiki page, but that still doesn't solve my issue that I don't get prompted for these fields when creating the page.

Any real solution to this that doesn't involve 100 extra clicks by the user or editing all kinds of pages from SharePoint?

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:03 PM

All replies

• In SharePoint 2010, you can get similar result as SharePoint 2007 by creating custom layout for Enterprise Wiki page (build with publishing feature).

You should have publish feature enabled;

You should use the page library create by publishing feature instead of the wiki page library;

You should make sure the Enterprise Wiki content type is added to the page library; You can add columns you need for the Enterprise Wiki content type;

Please read http://blog.henryong.com/2010/06/08/how-to-create-custom-sharepoint-2010-page-layouts-using-sharepoint-designer-2010/ for creating a custom page layout based on the Enterprise Wiki page layout.

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Thank you for repeating my solution number 1, for which I already indicated that it doesn't suit my needs and which is simply a gigantic step back compared to SP2007.

Is that the only option that is left in SP2010?
    That is simply not satisfying for our users...

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Afternoon,

I have this same issue, has anyone come up with a solution?

I want my users to be forced to complete the custom columns when the wiki page is created. It seems highly innefficient to expect me or someone else to check that each page which is created has had its properties edited by the user. Using Sharepoint designer I had hoped to create a new custom input form but this is not even giving me the option.

Creating a web page library is a last option......

Thanks,

Colin.

Colin Cook.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I didn't find any satisfying solution for this yet.
    Not much support coming to solve this in an acceptable way.

Regards

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi All,

I'm having this same problem and found this old thread.  Any satisfactory answers or workarounds yet?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

We didn't find an acceptable solution for this.
    We chose to simply go away from wiki pages with custom metadata.

In our case we created a custom list that includes all metadata + a description field of type "enhanced rich text". Afterwards we customized the display form with the ecma client object model to display things the way we want. For us it was less effort than creating a custom layout for enterprise wiki pages.

Kurt

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:49 AM