none
Change Master Page in Team Site without Publishing Feature RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change a Master Page in a Team Site if I don't activate the Publishing Feature?

Is the best way just to activate the Publishing Feature at the root-site and then make every sub-site inherit the master-page?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:35 AM

Answers

• You can do it in SharePoint Designer by opening the site, going into the master pages site object and setting it as the default.

Activating publishing at the top-level and pushing it down does work.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Joao Beltrao Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:11 AM

All replies

• You can do it in SharePoint Designer by opening the site, going into the master pages site object and setting it as the default.

Activating publishing at the top-level and pushing it down does work.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Joao Beltrao Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:11 AM
  • I am having the same issue. It seems as though with Team Sites, I have to either activate Publishing Feature (and then set to inherit), or go to the top level site and select the "Reset all subsites to inherit this site masterpage setting" (which is only a one time thing), and has to be selected again and again to cause all subsites to inherit.

This is somewhat tedious... I would like the ability to create a site template of a team site and when a new site is created from the template, the masterpage is automatically inheriting from the parent. As of now, I have to do all the steps above in order to accomplish this. I currently have a top level site with Publishing feature enabled and v4.master is set to default. Additionally, the master page settings are configured to "Specify a master page to be used by this site and all site that inherit from it:"

Can you help point me in the direction of automatic inheriting of the masterpage upon Team Site creation? Thanks.

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

Here are the steps I'm following.  Please tell me what I'm doing wrong:

- Copy v4.master, paste & rename

- Update [new].master with simple changes including images etc.

- Save, Check-in and Approve

- Option 1:  Set Site Master Page = [new].master (no changes are visible)

- Option 2:  Set [new].master as default master page using SPD (no changes are visible)

- Option 3 [scratching my head] - Set [new].master as the System master page and changes are visible, but this is obviously not ideal.

http://technicallead.wordpress.com/
    Monday, August 16, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Okay, I've resolved the problem after some advise from a friend.

Just to recap, the issue is the following; after creating a new site collection with the Team Site template, you activate the publishing infrastructure but you're unable to change the master page of the home page. 

The solution is this; When the publishing feature is enabled, it is done on the /Pages/ library and not the /SitePages/.  The default welcome page on the Team Site template sits in the /SitePages/ library hence your changes are not visible.

So, to remedy, simply set your master page and create a new page in /Pages/ folder, then set the welcome page to the created page in the /Pages/ library.

This one stumped for sometime and I thought it was a beta bug.

http://technicallead.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:40 AM
  • I have a similar issue. If I create a Team Site under a Publishing Site, Site Master Page and System Master Page are NOT inherited from Parent automatically. If I activate the "publishing features" on the Team Site created, "System Master Page" is inherited from Parent Site but NOT "Site Master Page". For the "Site Master Page" to inherit from the Parent, I have to set "Inherit Site Master Page from Parent of this Site" explicitly. Is this the only available solution ? Is there any easier solution ? 
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:29 PM
  • From what I have seen, there is not a better solution around this. You can do Feature Stapling, but again, not necessarily an "easier" way around it. What I have resulted to doing (due to bugs in the site template funtionality) is create the site through designer, then go to http://<newly-created-site>/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx, and set masterpages and css to inherit from parent. It is definitely one extra click, but I banged my head against this for too long and gave up.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:36 PM