none
Relationships Disappeared RRS feed

• Question

• I have a split access database that's been in use for almost two years. The database resides on a computer which I access remotely via Remote Utilities, where I transfer the db to my local PC, work on it, then transfer back to the remote machine. We use EaseUS Todo Backups to create an image file every 30 minutes of the database file. I am currently in the process of doing some refactoring and have run into the following issue:

All of the relationships in the database have somehow disappeared. Here is what is strange about this:

• About a week prior to discovering this issue I had taken a copy of the database and did not have this issue.
    • The relationships are gone whether I open it on my local machine or the remote machine.
    • Upon finding this, the first thing I did was try to restore a backup to see if the relationships were there -- they were not.

This is what I can't figure out -- I had copied the file, everything was OK, then a week later no relationships were found in either the current copy, nor any of the backups from before there was no issue.
    I have tried the following to resolve this:

• Updating Access on both machines.
    • Hiding all tables then adding back and showing 'all relationships' in relationships tab.
    • Looking for relationships in the database documenter.
    • Querying 'SELECT * FROM MSysRelationships' -- only output is from the NavPane objects.
    • Restoring old backups as mentioned.

I'm sure this could be a result of corruption -- but how could this corruption extend to the .pbd image files generated by EaseUS, that were created before the issue occurred?

Monday, August 19, 2019 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi. As I said in your other thread, I am just guessing the corruption may be happening at the time you are opening the file - probably because of a recent change in the computer system. Just a thought...
    Monday, August 19, 2019 4:23 PM
  • I've exprienced the loss of relationships and you can find numerous posts on the subject.

You can always try Opening the Relationships windows, right-clicking and selecting "Show All" in the hopes they are just hidden.

If that doesn't work, then there is little you can do beside recreate them.  I also, now, have gotten into the habit of implementing https://www.lebans.com/saverelationshipview.htm to save my relationships so that when this occurs again, I open the form and restore them with the click of a button.  It's also very useful when working on larger/complex databases.

As for the cause, I've never managed to put my finger on it.

As for your backups, Access has no means to modify your backups.  So either this issue has been around in your db all this time, or your backup overwrote prior versions with this latest version (you'd have to review your setting).

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Monday, August 19, 2019 4:45 PM
  • Just to clarify for us...Are you looking in the back end for the relationships? With split databases, the relationship diagram should show everything when in the BE.

If they do not exist in the BE re-create them there and do a manual backup to save that db someplace safe. Then use Daniel's suggestion to use Lebans' tool. Unforunately, Stephen retired years ago so it might not work for your database.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, August 19, 2019 6:45 PM
  • I've seen something like this before when the database was opened in a different version of Access and compiled then attempted to reopen from the other version the relationships could not bee seen. Are both PC's using the same version of Access? Including Bits.

Also noted strange things like this when running two versions of MS type databases ie Office 32 bit installed but either Outlook or Visio 64 Bit installed. Also running two bitrates of Access will cause issues. 

If this exists, you can try closing all database type files; Access, Outlook and Visio, then try running the quick repair or the online repair of office to see if that resolves your issue.

hth

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:52 AM
  • I am wondering about the statement that the relationships "can't be found"...

In query design view - - if you set up a new query and bring in 2 tables that should have a fixed relationship.....does the join line automatically get created??

If it does then fundamentally the relationships are still there and it is a question of the relationship display (which in a split db is in the back end as Bill noted)…...

it would help to know if we are talking actually about relationships being voided or just the display of the relationships not being correct.....

Saturday, August 24, 2019 4:43 PM