none
ODBC Call Failed - Access 2007 with Oracle Connection RRS feed

• Question

• When I open an Access Database File, ACCDB I get this error message. Full message read like this:

ODBC --Call Failed.

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01013: User Requested cancel of current operation (#1013)

I will tell you what happens. This error comes only sometimes, and not always. There are two queries in my file. The first one runs fine. At times, the second one fails to run and gives that error. When you close this and try running it once more, it runs at times. - Happens sometimes, not always. Issue with 2 Access files - both were running fine earlier. It started 2 weeks ago. Nothing changed in the system. 

I have redesinged the queries. I have refreshed the connections from Link Table Manager. I have gone to Access Options/Manage and did a Compact and Repair. >> Nothing worked.

I have checked this older thread here, but did not understand the content of the link that was marked as an answer to the query. If you can tell me the same, that would be enough.

Its Access 2007. ACCDB File. Oracle Connection, that works when I pull data using other tools, apart from Access. Even Access (the same file) works at times, but throws me the error at other times too, which I want to eliminate. Let me know if you want any further information.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Tan_HP,

Normally this type of error message is related to the time out settings for that specific query.  Is the Oracle table you are writing the query against a large table or relatively small?  What is the current ODBC timeout property set to and what happens if you change the ODBC timeout property for this specific query to a larger value. 

To do this, you can do the following:

+>Open the query in design view.

+>Within the property sheet, change the ODBC Timeout to a larger number.  By default, this is usually set to 60 seconds.  I would try changing it to 1000 seconds.

+>After changing this, save your query and try running it again.

If this doesn’t work, you can try changing the ODBC timeout setting to 0.  When it is set to 0 the query won’t timeout. 

If you are still having problems after trying these steps, I would recommend trying to create a copy of your Oracle table and reduce the number of records in it so it only contains just a few.  After doing this, base your query off of this table and see if it runs successfully.  If it does run, then it could either be data related or once again related to the size of the recordset the original query is trying to return.

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hi Tan_HP,

Normally this type of error message is related to the time out settings for that specific query.  Is the Oracle table you are writing the query against a large table or relatively small?  What is the current ODBC timeout property set to and what happens if you change the ODBC timeout property for this specific query to a larger value. 

+>Within the property sheet, change the ODBC Timeout to a larger number.  By default, this is usually set to 60 seconds.  I would try changing it to 1000 seconds.

If this doesn’t work, you can try changing the ODBC timeout setting to 0.  When it is set to 0 the query won’t timeout. 

If you are still having problems after trying these steps, I would recommend trying to create a copy of your Oracle table and reduce the number of records in it so it only contains just a few.  After doing this, base your query off of this table and see if it runs successfully.  If it does run, then it could either be data related or once again related to the size of the recordset the original query is trying to return.

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks a lot for this. I got the answer already; but could not update the status here. What you said is what I did. Exactly! It worked first for 180 secs - then again the error came. So, I put it as 0, making it unlimited and it worked fine since.

Thanks again Nathan!

Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Tan_HP,

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hi Tan_HP,

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Thanks a lot for this. I got the answer already; but could not update the status here. What you said is what I did. Exactly! It worked first for 180 secs - then again the error came. So, I put it as 0, making it unlimited and it worked fine since.

Thanks again Nathan!

Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:26 PM