none
Moving search services from search server to app server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I have the following 3 servers in my test environment:   APP, WFE, Search

I'm looking to reduce the number of servers in the SharePoint farm by consolidating the search server with the app server.     

I am thinking to remove the search server from the farm first.   Then go to Central Admin and provision a new search service application to run on app server.   I'll set up a new drive on the APP server to store the index data.  How can I have the system recognize the new index location?  I am OK with deleting the existing search databases and recreating new ones and starting a new crawl.

EDIT:  found this link.

Basically will need to remove search topology first.   But afterwards I assume its OK to just click on 'Remove server,' from Central Admin (_admin/FarmServers.aspx), rather than uninstall SharePoint from search server.

• Edited by XRS Monday, September 16, 2019 12:10 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi XRS.

I don't think it is necessary for you to remove the actual Search Service application databases: it's just a matter of reconfiguring the actul topology.
    You should first modify the Search Service application topology: the article at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/search/change-the-default-search-topology can provide you with guidance about the way to do that, you'll have to execute some PowerShell cmdlets to provision the necessary Search Service components on the new server and un-provision all the ones that are actually running on the search server.
    After completing the reconfiguration of the Search Service application's topology, execute the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on the search server and choose the option to disconnect the server from the farm.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:52 PM

All replies

• I would say Delete the Search Service Application without deleting databases and then remove the server from the SharePoint Farm, Now configure Search Service Application with existing databases below article for your references:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/move-or-rename-service-application-databases

http://blog.harter-web.de/2017/03/20/sharepoint-2013-rename-move-search-service-application-databases/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Hi XRS.

I don't think it is necessary for you to remove the actual Search Service application databases: it's just a matter of reconfiguring the actul topology.
    You should first modify the Search Service application topology: the article at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/search/change-the-default-search-topology can provide you with guidance about the way to do that, you'll have to execute some PowerShell cmdlets to provision the necessary Search Service components on the new server and un-provision all the ones that are actually running on the search server.
    After completing the reconfiguration of the Search Service application's topology, execute the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard on the search server and choose the option to disconnect the server from the farm.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

Just to add up, you should have a Search service application with a default search topology created in Central Administration first. 

In the default search topology, all the search components are located on the server that hosts Central Administration. You also need to be an administrator of the Search service application.

After that, follow the instruction provided by Luigi.

Here’s a reference on how to create a search service application.

Create and configure a Search service application in SharePoint Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/create-and-configure-a-search-service-application

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Hi XRS.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

I'm OK with completely removing the search service application.  Just looking for the quickest route at the moment.   Do I remove the search server from product configuration wizard (disconnect from the server farm) or should I remove server from Central Admin or Add/Remove from Control Panel on search server?   Once server is removed I can go ahead and create a new search service application and run a full crawl to rebuild index.   I guess I don't have to move the index drive since I'll just use the same drive on the app server.  thanks.

EDIT:   just uninstalled from Control Panel on search server and now the server no longer shows up in Central Admin.   This is probably the best route to take.  Now to create the new search application...

EDIT2:  New search application created with new databases with GUID in db name.  No big deal....will keep like this for several months until we transition to SP Online.   thanks.

• Edited by XRS Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:26 AM
  • If you are ok with removing the search service application then simple go to Manage Service Application and delete Search Service Application and then remove search server from product config wizard (disconnect from the server farm) once it's removed completely then just create a Search Service Application in App Server and perform a Full Crawl.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:41 AM
  • Hi XRS.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

I'm OK with completely removing the search service application.  Just looking for the quickest route at the moment.   Do I remove the search server from product configuration wizard (disconnect from the server farm) or should I remove server from Central Admin or Add/Remove from Control Panel on search server?   Once server is removed I can go ahead and create a new search service application and run a full crawl to rebuild index.   I guess I don't have to move the index drive since I'll just use the same drive on the app server.  thanks.

EDIT:   just uninstalled from Control Panel on search server and now the server no longer shows up in Central Admin.   This is probably the best route to take.  Now to create the new search application...

EDIT2:  New search application created with new databases with GUID in db name.  No big deal....will keep like this for several months until we transition to SP Online.   thanks.

The best way to remove the server is executing the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard and choosing the option to disconnect the server from the farm; then you can uninstall SharePoint from the Control Panel.
    The only way to choose exact names for the Search Service application databases is to provision that service application via PowerShell, otherwise you'll always have GUIDs in the databases' names.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, September 20, 2019 11:45 AM