Web Part - Report Viewer - Override Parameters are not saving RRS feed

• Question

• When I select the override option and check the one parameter out of the list and click apply, or OK, the Web Part refreshes and resets the parameter list with all the items checked again.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:59 PM

Answers

• The latest May 2014 CU has somewhat fixed this bug. MS didn't charge us for the support ticket since it was a bug on their end. But it is not a complete fix as you have to click in the white space around the override parameter but still in the webpart properties frame prior to clicking OK or Apply, otherwise the parameter resets the list back to its defaults. 

This work around is for multi-select list parameters. Single choice parameters like a date are not affected.

So if you have this issue, Apply SP1 and the latest CU and you should be good.

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    For this issue, I¡¯m trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at it.
    Thanks,
    Qiao
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

can we have a detailed steps how to reproduce this issue, so that we can try in our lab box?

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 7, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Here are my steps

1. From the Library where my reports are I go to Files>New Document>BI Web Part Page
    2. First Issue - My Save Location doesn't display the current directory I am in. Am I supposed to set that path in the file name? 
      None of these are my current folder.
    3. I gave it a name and selected full page vertical
    4. I select Add a web part and choose SQL Server Reporting Services Report Viewer from the SQL Reporting Category
    5. I open the tool pane and browse to my report, and add it.
    6. I load the parameters. I have 3, @StartDate, @EndDate, and @Location. 
    7. I select Override report default on @Location, check check all to uncheck the 4 locations in the list and then select 1 in the list.
    8. THE PROBLEM: I click apply and the list loads all the values back into the dropdown textbox and starts running the report. Which takes a while since all the defaults are in the list. 
    9. Now if I run the report from the webpart I can select and individual location and it sticks. Not a solution since I want people to see the dashboard already filtered.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

please let us know regarding your sharepoint version with the latest cumulative update that you have in your environment, 

as i remember, there should be an update at october 2013 regarding issue similar with this, 

perhaps you may try to do it in your development environment first to try if should the issue fixed by then.

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Do you have ability to look into the support system. It looks like this is an ongoing bug with SP 2013.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d9c15482-c456-4f49-8afb-387e6beb9395/report-viewer-web-part-override-parameters?prof=required

Do I need to have a Filter web part on my page? 

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

we cannot make any guarantee regarding the time, if there is a process of checking regarding an undocumented feature.

if should you already tried in the october 2013 cumulative update and the issue still persist, i strongly suggest you to open a ticket, so that we can have a live meeting session to capture the information that is need to proceed to next troubleshooting steps. http://support.microsoft.com/

Regards,
    Aries

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Installing SP1 today in our test environment. I'll follow up with the results. 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:58 PM
  • SP1 is installed. I spun up a new site based on the BI template.

I added a report that searches for users on last name.

Then I added a Web Part page. I can override the parameters and when I apply the change the report refreshes with the correct parameter. Then I click OK and stop editing and back out of the folder. When I come back in to the web part page it tells me the report parameters values must be specified before the report can be displayed.

Is there a setting in the report that must be set?
    Friday, March 14, 2014 2:59 PM
  • I've been looking in the log on the reporting Services server and I see this error after I try to apply parameters

Cannot find site lookup info for request Uri http://MyWebServer:32843/95ec73b49caa4b20bfe8c92209ad9384/ReportExecution.svc.

The only other error that looks odd is
    03/14/2014 15:40:21.13 w3wp.exe (0x0A8C) 0x0CBC SharePoint Foundation Authentication Authorization agb9s Medium Non-OAuth request. IsAuthenticated=False, UserIdentityName=, ClaimsCount=0 8d447d9c-dcc4-70cc-08ac-58fbcdae7a1f

Does that give any indication on where to look?

Thanks.

Friday, March 14, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

may I say, that after SP1, now after you refresh the parameters are not reset anymore?

the ULS part that you posted, is more like a note that a non-Oauth request for authentication was called, not exactly an error message,

and as I checked, the message you are seeing is not an error. It's just informing you that parameters are not satisfied and that you need to click apply. Processing sees a dependency between the parameters, and we don't auto-run the report when a parameter changes.

Regards,
    Aries

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

may I say, that after SP1, now after you refresh the parameters are not reset anymore?

the ULS part that you posted, is more like a note that a non-Oauth request for authentication was called, not exactly an error message,

and as I checked, the message you are seeing is not an error. It's just informing you that parameters are not satisfied and that you need to click apply. Processing sees a dependency between the parameters, and we don't auto-run the report when a parameter changes.

Regards,
    Aries

My parameters changes still don't stick after clicking apply or OK.

Would there be additional info in the logs on the front end servers?

You say the report doesn't autorun, but as soon as I click OK or apply the report does run with the new parameters. And in my case it runs a long time since it has reset the a parameters to all.

Monday, March 17, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Hi Developer_46038,

i tried this steps in sharepoint 2013 SP1,
    ·         A report viewer web part is added to a standard page
    ·         The parameters are loaded in the web part settings, and the option to override the default parameter is selected and overridden with the desired value.
    ·         After pressing OK, the report loads as expected.
    ·         After pressing "Stop Editing" on the page, the report still appears as expected.
    ·         If the page is reloaded, the parameters have been removed.

seems the issue reproducible there, i already submit a request for checking, but i cannot make any guarantee regarding the time process.

if should you need urgently, please open a ticket, http://support.microsoft.com

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:58 AM
  • I do have a ticket in now.

Today I created a new report and added 3 parameters.

Parameter 1 loads its available and default items from a query. Allows multivalue.

Parameter 2 loads from a static list. No multivalue

Parameter 3 is just a date parameter that will show the date selected in a textbox.

I added the report to a webpart page and I overrode all the defaults. When i clicked apply the report ran with the selected parameters. But, the First parameter was reloaded with all available options. I would have thought the parameter I selected as the override would have stuck in the selection box. So I click OK to see if they will stick. 

Parameter 1 does not stay set, the other two do. But when I exit completely out and come back in, the reports do not stay.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:02 PM
  • To set default parameters for a report being displayed in the Report Viewer Web Part go to the library where the report rdl file is located. Display the context menu for that report and select the "Manage Parameters" option. From there you will be able to set default report parameters that you are trying to set in the web part properties instead.

• Proposed as answer by Brett Penno Friday, June 13, 2014 5:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Developer_46038 Friday, June 13, 2014 2:34 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 5:05 AM
  • The latest May 2014 CU has somewhat fixed this bug. MS didn't charge us for the support ticket since it was a bug on their end. But it is not a complete fix as you have to click in the white space around the override parameter but still in the webpart properties frame prior to clicking OK or Apply, otherwise the parameter resets the list back to its defaults. 

This work around is for multi-select list parameters. Single choice parameters like a date are not affected.

So if you have this issue, Apply SP1 and the latest CU and you should be good.

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:38 PM