none
Note Board web part to display comments for explicit Document Set

Question

• I guess my question falls under 'Other customization' hence my post here.

Scenario:

I have a Document Set content type enabled for a library. At the moment I have a few "folders" [document sets] that contain their respective documents.

I edited a Document Set welcome page to include a Note Board web part. I edited the Note Board web part by adding a 'URL for note' to be a URL of a random Document Set welcome page while in edit mode.

(Basically, I went to a 'ABC' document set page, clicked edit page, copied URL from address bar, closed that page, went to 'Customize Welcome Page' for all document sets in that library, edited Note Board web part by pasting the link into its 'URL for note' field) 

Problem:

Currently, all comments are shared between all document sets (folders). When I go to 'ABC' document set and post a comment, I can see my ABC specific comments in e.g. 'XYZ' document set.

I want to have comments specific to each document set displayed on a respective page for that document set.

Solution?

I realize that I must have gotten an URL for a Note Board web part wrong and it does not filter comments explicit to each document set but fetches the comments from whole the library. My url is currently:

https://intranet.domain/sitecollection/library/Forms/Machine%20Process%20Pack/docsethomepage.aspx?ID=2&FolderCTID=0x0120D520009EDF2E3A3112B041AC6EC1D4133D77550000C297D6CB32E349A435E04924DC6C58&List=7b052f9c-7e35-4251-b66d-3bcdd2950014&RootFolder=%2Fuk%5Fqhse%2FProcess%20Packs%2FSigma%202345&RecSrc=%2Fuk%5Fqhse%2FProcess%20Packs%2FSigma%202345&PageView=Shared&InitialTabId=Ribbon.WebPartPage&Visi

I know I have to strip this URL from some parameters, presumably leaving just ID, FolderCTID, List and RootFolder.

Could someone actually tell me exactly how my URL should look like if I want to display comments only for a given document set on its welcome page?

Thanks!

• Edited by Lukas_UK Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to display comments only for a given document set on its welcome page, not display for all the document sets.

If so, you should not set the “URL for note” field in the Note Board web part, you can just leave it blank, then when you post a comment in one document set, the others would not display the comment.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 4, 2014 6:11 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply!

I followed your suggestion to clear 'URL for note' field from a web part. Now, posts are not visible for other users. Whoever posts a comment, it is only visible to them. This is the case even after a full crawl of the farm and/or ticking 'Show all links regardless of permission' in CA/User Profile App/My Site Settings/Setup Mysites.

I think this was the reason why I decided to include 'URL for note' in the first place.

Any other suggestion? I know there must be a way to manipulate this 'URL for note' to display notes just for a given Document Set?

Lukas

• Edited by Lukas_UK Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:35 AM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Anyone?
    • Edited by Lukas_UK Monday, April 28, 2014 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:11 AM
  • Now my SharePoint server started to pick up the comments for each individual Document Set and display them for all the users (not just the ones that post them).

So what I did was:

1. Cleared the field 'URL for note' in Document Set welcome page/ Note board web part. This ensures comments are specific to a given document set.

2. Tested the solution with multiple users and all the respective comments are visible for every user.

I'm not suer what's happened and why my SharePoint Server 2013 has suddenly started to show comments to others. I have not done any crawling or anything myself.

I guess this is how it's like with sharePoint. Sometimes the behaviour of the platform is extremely strange and beyond any explanation. But that's a separate topic. 

Friday, May 30, 2014 10:19 AM
  • My issue is users can only see comments from others within their permission level.  For example, UserB and UserC has Read access and can only see each other comments.  However they cannot see UserA's comments whom has full-control and vice-versa.

help?

Monday, May 11, 2015 3:14 PM