none
Shape Stencil not displaying properly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been using Visio for years. However, for some reason under 'Shapes' I can only see the 'search shapes' box. If I click on 'more shapes' most of the time nothing happens! 

Occasionally it displays the stencil shape window, as a floating window, that I am used to seeing permanently under the Stencil Shape menu - how do I get it back to permanently appear under the Stencil Shape view? 

Unfortunately I am unable to upload a screenshot - says my account hasn't been verified. 

I just can't work out how to do it! Very frustrating!

Thanks

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To verify your account, you need to  find and reply to the thread called Verify Account in Forums Issues. Be patient and wait for your application to be approved. Then, you can share links and post images here.

Generally, you can use the Shapes window to organize and find shapes. By default, Stencils are stacked one over the other in the Shapes window. When you click More Shapes and open a template category from the menu, these   stencils in that category will be displayed in the Shapes window instead of a floating window.

If you show the shape window as @Surrogate suggested and and find it a floating window, you can right-click the top of it and select Dock Window to make it fixed:

You can easily shift a shape category as a floating window to the Shapes window and dock it.

Hope the information was helpful. Any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by Silhouette17 Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. As far as I know, when we create a new blank drawing in Visio, there is not any stencil or category displayed in Shapes window. It's a normal behavior by design.

If you open a build-in template, you can see one or several essential stencil category(s) in Shapes window there. For example, create a new drawing with Basic Diagram:

If you want to make stencil categories display as you want permanently in Shapes window, you can create a custom template: Create a blank drawing > Click More Shapes to add stencil categories you want > Save the drawing as a Visio templete (.vstx). 

You can specifiy your personal template folder in Visio Options (click File > Options > Save) and save your templates to your personal template folder.

You can find your personal templates under "New > Personal" tab. When you open any template, you can see stencil categories you selected in Shapes windows :

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:01 AM

All replies

• View ->Task Panes -> Shapes

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

To verify your account, you need to  find and reply to the thread called Verify Account in Forums Issues. Be patient and wait for your application to be approved. Then, you can share links and post images here.

Generally, you can use the Shapes window to organize and find shapes. By default, Stencils are stacked one over the other in the Shapes window. When you click More Shapes and open a template category from the menu, these   stencils in that category will be displayed in the Shapes window instead of a floating window.

If you show the shape window as @Surrogate suggested and and find it a floating window, you can right-click the top of it and select Dock Window to make it fixed:

You can easily shift a shape category as a floating window to the Shapes window and dock it.

Hope the information was helpful. Any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

• Marked as answer by Silhouette17 Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:16 AM
  • Hi Herb

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply which was very helpful.

I have now managed to find the options and docked the window but am still unable to see the stencils permanently listed e.g. business, engineering, flowchart but at least when I click on 'More shapes' these options now come up. Is there a way to display them permanently? 

I have received notification saying that my account had been verified, which is why I couldn't understand why it wouldn't let me post the picture, but now I have the docked window will have another go today... 

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:06 AM
  • And it has let me post the latest picture - so obviously needed some time to 'think' it over!

Thanks again Herb

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. As far as I know, when we create a new blank drawing in Visio, there is not any stencil or category displayed in Shapes window. It's a normal behavior by design.

If you open a build-in template, you can see one or several essential stencil category(s) in Shapes window there. For example, create a new drawing with Basic Diagram:

If you want to make stencil categories display as you want permanently in Shapes window, you can create a custom template: Create a blank drawing > Click More Shapes to add stencil categories you want > Save the drawing as a Visio templete (.vstx). 

You can specifiy your personal template folder in Visio Options (click File > Options > Save) and save your templates to your personal template folder.

You can find your personal templates under "New > Personal" tab. When you open any template, you can see stencil categories you selected in Shapes windows :

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 10:25 AM
  • Hi Herb

That's great, thanks. Sorry, missed the notification saying that you had responded. 

It used to in earlier versions, but I need to get used to how it is now, but your responses were very helpful. Thanks.

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Tereza

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:28 AM