none
Content Types and Document Libraries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Firstly I apologise if this has been answered in another post, but the one's I have checked do not give me what I am looking for.

What I would like to do is create Content types that automatically populate the fields within that content type to a new document library once I decide to create it.

I find that when I create a new document Library, I have to specify the Content Type which it is to use, and then manually hide the columns that I cannot remove (due to inheritance) and modify the view to display the columns within the Content Type.

Is this normal practice? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• this is normal practice which you are doing and their is nothing wrong :) for future replication purpose of same library if required any where you can save it as template in list template library.

if you are developer you can create a custom document library definition as well.

Best Regards, Ashutosh | My Blog Site
    • Marked as answer by AmarSR Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:39 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:26 PM

All replies

• this is normal practice which you are doing and their is nothing wrong :) for future replication purpose of same library if required any where you can save it as template in list template library.

if you are developer you can create a custom document library definition as well.

Best Regards, Ashutosh | My Blog Site
    • Marked as answer by AmarSR Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:39 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Thank you Paaji!

I realised about 10 minutes later to save it as a template!

I was trying to make it more complicated than neccessary!

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:41 PM