none
Assigning a task on a different site: RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is possible, and if it is, I have yet to find a way to make it work.  I am developing workflows for various document libraries for the purposes of document approval.  The catch is that there are separate libraries for each department, and each department has their own sub site within the main sharepoint site.

The client's requirements are that there be one task list for all departments, this is because Person A might be doing approvals for Department 1 and Department 2.  They want a one-stop-shop for this person with their tasks. 

Is there any way using SPD 2007 to tell it to utilizing a task list at the highest level, above the subsites, or is there a way to pass a task between sub sites. 

Like I said I've been racking my brain for days, and I just wanted to see if this was possible. 
    Monday, September 8, 2008 7:19 PM

Answers

• If you can, you would have to do it by modify the XOML directly and changing GUIDs around.  You can definitley do this if you have multiple task lists in one site (by modifying XOML directly).  I don't see why you couldn't do it for task lists in another site in the *same* site collection.

That said, it may be better to keep them in local task lists and then use some kind of rollup web part (CQWP if you have MOSS or DFWP for WSS/MOSS) rather than mucking about with XOML.

--Paul Galvin of www.Conchango.com @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
    Monday, September 8, 2008 11:45 PM
  • As Paul said, you theoretically do this by editing the XOML by hand.  It is, however, not an easy task.  If you have the ability to use Visual Studio, you can achieve this quite easily.  If not, Paul's suggestion of using rollups is probably the only way to go.

Dave

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:52 AM

All replies

• If you can, you would have to do it by modify the XOML directly and changing GUIDs around.  You can definitley do this if you have multiple task lists in one site (by modifying XOML directly).  I don't see why you couldn't do it for task lists in another site in the *same* site collection.

That said, it may be better to keep them in local task lists and then use some kind of rollup web part (CQWP if you have MOSS or DFWP for WSS/MOSS) rather than mucking about with XOML.

--Paul Galvin of www.Conchango.com @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
    Monday, September 8, 2008 11:45 PM
  • As Paul said, you theoretically do this by editing the XOML by hand.  It is, however, not an easy task.  If you have the ability to use Visual Studio, you can achieve this quite easily.  If not, Paul's suggestion of using rollups is probably the only way to go.

Dave

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:52 AM
  • Thanks, I'm going to give the rollup or Visual Studio a shot, I really appreciate the help!
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:24 PM