Add Field to Existing Custom Form RRS feed

• Question

• I created a custom list form and subsequently added a couple more fields to the list.

In SharePoint Designer, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add those two new fields. I select the area I want to add it select the field from the "Current Data Source" but there's only one choice; to add it as an item but that is greyed out.

I want to add the new columns underneath the one of the current fields. You cant even drag and drop from the data source.

Sure you can code it in, but $1000 says it'll not work as the IDs are written in "code" so God knows what to assign it.

Why does it have to be such a chore to do anything like this?????

Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would recommend creating a new form with a different name (i.e. TempNewForm) and then copy the fields insides of the <tr> that you want to add.  You will also need to adjust the numbering to align with the rest of the form as displayed in the screenshot below.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

When we add a new field to the custom list that contains the custom List form so custom List form does not get updated automatically when a new field is created in the underlying list (data source).

You can create new custom form again, in this case you can to apply all formatting if you have done and all the things or you have some workaround see this link for the steps.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/43160/how-to-add-data-field-to-existing-custom-list-form

Krishana Kumar http://www.mosstechnet-kk.com
    Please mark the replies and Proposed as answer if they help and solve your issue

Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Thanks, that make sense although I don't reall know what those values you highlighted mean. I recall in previous versions of SPD it was a simple thing to add a field from the data source. Does this mean this version of SPD2013 is that degraded that we have to resort to hacks to perform seemingly simple design tasks? Does Microsoft realize this is 2015 not 1995? Cheers and thanks.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:37 PM
  • Hi All,

I am also Facing same issue in sharepoint desinger 2013 custom form.

in my case i am tried to add new control to CustomNewForm.aspx 

But that control is not displaying at sharepoint list views and data is not saved into the list 

thanks in advance !!!!

Karan Bajaj

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:17 AM
  • I had the same issue with and SP 2013 custom form. What I did was to create a new temp custom form for new item, and then copied the code block containing the new field over to the form I already had. When I hit save in the designer. SharePoint 2013 was kind enough to automatically re-number all of the fields. Then I just deleted the temp form. 
    Friday, May 25, 2018 6:47 PM