none
Visual Studio 2015 fails to check license (unable to save downloaded online license)

Question

• Hello

This evening I'm unable to launch my Visual Studio 2015 (all updates were installed).

I'm getting next error: License Error (0x00000002): Unable to save downloaded online license.

I do have an active MSDN subscription and so far haven't encountered any issues with my VS2015 instance.

Any help is appreciated. 

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Valeriu Caraulean,

Which VS2015 version did you install? Could you launch it when you use it for the first time?

Where did you download/buy the VS2015?

If you go into Programs and Features and repair the installation of Visual Studio 2015, and then re-open your VS as the admin, or run it in safe mode, how about the result?

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:11 AM
  • Hello, Jack-Zhai.

I am having this problem as well. The VS 2015 Enterprise install on my machine has been there, working, for as long as VS 2015 Enterprise has been available. I applied VS 2015 Update 1 when it came out. The problem, for me, started occuring today. I tried starting VS 2015 in safe mode, and that does not resolve the issue.

Debugging the web service traffic using Fiddler seems to indicate that it is a problem with the "/entries" call to api.raygun.io.

Monday, February 22, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Same problem here, VS2015 with MSDN subscription, got a warning on Feb 16th that my license was going stale in 6 days and haven't been able to download a new license because of the same error described in the OP

shinsenai

Monday, February 22, 2016 11:38 PM
  • I ran a repair of my VS 2015 install today, which took about an hour and a half, and the problem has gone away...for now.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:26 AM
  • Thanks for theBoringCoder at work's help.

Hi Valeriu Caraulean,

What about this issue? Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

@AlbertoDM,

Like theBoringCoder's suggestion, if you repair your VS, how about the result?

>>Same problem here, VS2015 with MSDN subscription, got a warning on Feb 16th that my license was going stale in 6 days and haven't been able to download a new license.

Where did you buy the VS2015? Do you buy it from the MSDN subscription site?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/

Since different community members got the same issue, maybe we would think about that whether it is a real issue of the setup file or others. So we need to know that where you buy the license or download the setup file.

For example, if you got it from the MSDN subscription site, we would discuss it with the MSDN subscription experts:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx 

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Hi Jack,

>>@AlbertoDM,

>>Like theBoringCoder's suggestion, if you repair your VS, how about the result?

>>>>Same problem here, VS2015 with MSDN subscription, got a warning on Feb 16th that my license was going stale in 6 days and haven't been able to download a new license.

>>Where did you buy the VS2015? Do you buy it from the MSDN subscription site?

I downloaded VS2015 from the MSDN subscriber web site. I've been using it for many months without problems. From what I've seen around, this problem has started affecting many users around Feb 16th using different versions of VS (Pro, Community, etc.). In my case I have this issue on one of the two computers I use for development, the other works fine. I'll try to repair the installation later today.

shinsenai

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Hi AlbertoDM,

>>In my case I have this issue on one of the two computers I use for development, the other works fine. I'll try to repair the installation later today.

I look forward to hearing from you. If you get any latest information about this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I can confirm that Repair fixes the license download problem.

Cheers,

A.

shinsenai

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:16 PM
  • I got the same problem.  Using my MAPS subscription I have downloaded it from the MSDN site and installed all okay, been using it for a little while and now keeps showing the error.

I have gone into my MAPs subscription, updated everything and again and relinked, do this everytime I renew, so no sure why lost the settings.

But still getting the same error.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Hi Nathaneal,

Since this thread was closed for a few days, to help you resolve this issue, would you mind opening a new case in our forum? We will follow up it in time.

Sincerely,

Jack

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:04 AM