none
Changing hidden field to required does not ripple to inherited content types used in lists. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a base content type which contains a field which used to be hidden.  Now I've made the field optional instead and checked the "Update all content types inheriting from this content type" option.  The update is saved successfully.

The problem is that the field is not available in any of the libraries; it cannot be added to the library views.

First thought: Okay, maybe if I add another content type to the list, the field will get imported.  Nope.

Second thought: Well, maybe if I try to add it as an existing site column to an existing content type on the list (you know, list level content types and all).  Thwarted again.  The field is not an option.

Third thought: Hmm...maybe it's broken at the root; I'll create a new list and see if it shows up.  Indeed, it shows up fine on a new library and I'm able to use it in views.

So what gives?  Am I eternally hosed if I change a field's visibility from "hidden" to "optional" in all existing list content types?  It seems that my only option is to mess around with the XML field definitions for the list or recreate the entire library and copy all of the documents.  This surely can't be right.

Is there another way to get the field to show up in existing libraries?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• Same problem here. What... no answer in 4 and a half years.

We have same problem on Sharepoint 2010 foundation. Events calendar list, that was used as a template for creating customer visits.

We wanted to hide workspace field that was inherited from events calendar list template. We set the content type column workspace to hidden and used update all content types inheriting from this content type option.

Long story short, the workspace field is still visible on all costomer visits lists.

Any idea?

Andrej

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:39 AM