none
Office - Outlook - My Customize Ribbon settings not saving correctly RRS feed

• Question

• In Outlook 2016 (click-to-run) on my Windows 10 laptop, I am trying to customize the Ribbon, but it does not correctly save my settings.

Here are the steps I follow:

1. First, I customize the Ribbon for the Inbox of my Office 365 mail account. I do so by removing all the Groups I do not want to see in the Ribbon, and by adding New Custom Groups of my own, which contain the commands I use often.
    2. Then, I open my Calendar in a new separate window. So, I now have a window with my Inbox on the left side of my screen, and a window with my Calendar on the right side.
    3. Next, I customize the Ribbon in the Calendar window.
    4. Now, the problem appears: when I click again on the window where my Inbox is, a group of Commands called "Quick Steps" automatically appears back in the Ribbon again, even though I had removed all standard groups, and only kept my own.
    5. When I remove the "Quick Steps" group once more, again via Customize Ribbon, it is deleted... but then the Ribbon in the Calendar windows automatically gets all the standard calendar command groups back, which I had removed before, without even touching that Ribbon.

What can I do so that this does not happen, i.e. so that Customize Ribbon only keeps my Custom Groups, and does not add any of the Standard Groups back in again automatically?

I already tried this, to no avail:

- updated Office to very latest version

- reset the Ribbon to the default settings, the Customized it again

- ran the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool 2.2

• A thought:  the Documents folder of my computer is in the cloud, on my OneDrive: since I am running the very latest version of Windows 10, I am using the Files-On-Demand feature. I am wondering, could there be any connection between the issue described above and the fact that my default Documents folder is no longer on my local hard disk, but on the OneDrive? Are the Outlook 2016 Custom Ribbon settings stored in the Documents folder, or are they stored in my "User" folder on my C-drive?

Thanks,

Paul

• Edited by Van Cotthem Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:13 AM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Van Cotthem,

I could reproduce your issue. In fact, in my test, whatever I change any group, Quick Steps group in Home(Mail) will show and all built-in and hidden groups in Home(Calendar) will show too. Besides, I did not find any other conflict now.

I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue so that Microsoft could know this issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 19, 2018 7:03 AM
  • I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue so that Microsoft could know this issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks Terry for taking the time to reproduce this bug.

Note that the "File/Feedback" in Office is only for suggesting new features, not bugs.

I had already tried to report it that way some days ago, but it was rejected because it was a bug report, not a feature suggestion. So that channel does not help resolve the issue.

• Edited by Van Cotthem Friday, January 19, 2018 7:34 AM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Hello, 

I would suggest you update your office to insider version and then there will be an option to submit bug to the office developers.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:10 AM
  • I had the same exact issue today, after spending time to customize my ribbon.

I tried different things, like exporting the customization file and editing the one in AppData, but nothing seemed to work: QuickStep kept coming back, and I kept losing all the custo in the Calendar page, as you have described above.

So I've decided to try leaving the QuickStep menu (I've moved it to the far right side of the Mail page though), re-did my customization in both Mail and Calendar tabs, and it finally kept all my custo correctly. I still have the QuickStep box in the far right, but it doesn't bother me since my objective was to have the other tabs customized and kept.

So you may try this as a workaround.

Something that I didn't check but as I write this I'm wondering, is if I had added a custo button which is actually part of the QuickStep menu, and this is the reason why Outlook kept adding QuickStep menu back in (in order for me to setup QuickStep actions).

Best Regards,

Jeison

Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Hi Jeison,

Indeed, this is what I did too.

However, I feel Microsoft should allow a way to also delete the QuickStep menu during our customisation.

Best

Paul

Saturday, September 22, 2018 7:09 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a question about office insider. I have project in C# for customizing office ribbon and I am using the customized ribbon for outlook too. When I update my office from 2016 to insider, my custom ribbon groups automatically went to overflow items and there is no option available for my ribbon buttons to pin or unpin from the simplified ribbon. Can anyone help me to find which ribbon parameter I should use in CustomXML to activate this pin or unpin option. 

• Edited by Remya James Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:49 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 12:35 PM