none
Are there any type of user UI controls for Office_Addin_apps? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Forms and ActiveX controls can be used with Word documents and Excel Workbooks on the desktop but when these documents are opened in the Web Version of Word or Excel then the controls disappear.  Are there any such controls that can be used in a Word document or Excel Workbook that will appear and function in both the Desktop and Web version of Word and Excel?
    <object data-extension-version="0.4.0.129" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display:none;"></object>
    • Edited by JimBassett Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:57 PM Junk text appeared at end of question so it was removed
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can use any web framework you want for the add-in UI.  There are plenty of choices, the first being the Office UI Fabric: http://dev.office.com/fabric/components

You can also use Bootstrap, jQuery UI, etc.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    Try MessageFiler for Outlook!

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, June 10, 2016 6:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:37 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Thank you Eric.  It is not addin UI I am having issues with.

My question involves having UI controls like Window Forms and ActiveX controls that can be used with Office documents like Word and Excel on the Desktop Office. When a Word document or Excel Workbook having those controls in them is moved to a OneDrive or SharePoint Online and opened on the web that the UI controls that did appear and work on the desktop Word and Excel are not appearing on the web version of Word and Excel.  

My question is are there other UI controls that can be used in the desktop Office documents like Word and Excel and will also appear and work when those same documents containing UI controls are opened in the web version of Word and Excel?

Thanks

Jim 

Friday, June 10, 2016 11:37 AM
  • That's a good question.  I really don't see how ActiveX controls can work in the browser apps, as they are client-side components.  I can't find any official documentation about this either.  It's possible they may work if you open up the security settings in IE for ActiveX controls.

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:15 PM
  • Thank you Eric,

I  create custom Word and Excel files containing textual content and make use of Window Forms UI Controls and/or ActiveX Controls that work well in Word Documents and Excel Workbooks on the Desktop Office applications like Office 2010, or Office 2013, or Office 2016.  If the Word and/or Excel files are move or copied to online SharePoint or OneDrive and then with the Web version of Word and Excel then the Windows Forms UI and Active X UI controls  do not appear in the Opened Word or Excel.  So I looking for some UI controls that can work in the desktop Word and Excel and in the web version of Word and Excel.

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Your only real option to support both web and desktop is to redesign using the new web framework for Office add-ins.  You'll have to transfer your UI to task pane and content add-ins using only web components: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/office-add-ins

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:37 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 7:35 PM