none
Changing the default editing language of Word using VBScript RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to change the current default editing language of Office applications using Word VBA?

Parul Gupta

• Edited by Ninja8 Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Parul Gupta,
    Thank you for posting. 
    I will help you involve others to help you. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.
    Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Thank you Bruce for responding.

Parul Gupta

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Hi Parul,

I'm afraid Office doesn't expose API to modify default editing language with code. The most relevant API is readonly.

Application.LanguageSettings.LanguagePreferredForEditing(msoLanguageIDEnglishUS)

In the background, Office saves the default editing language to registry.  However in attempt to detect which specific registry key and value it corresponds, there're many related and no clear clue.

Set this manually could be done referring to below: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/change-the-default-language-for-office-programs-HA010356057.aspx#_Toc261350769

Hope this get you start on right track.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Marked as answer by Ninja8 Friday, March 30, 2012 6:31 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Forrest for the explanation.

Could u please clarify one more thing: if i have my default editing language as Spanish, would it be considered as the input language by Word for any open document?

Parul Gupta

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Hi, Parul

Default editing language is application-wide setting, so yes, Spanish is considered as input language for open documents.  Word, Excel shares same setting.  Note that if the setting just changed, people need to restart Word to take effective.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:41 AM
  • And if the default language of Windows (say, English) is different from default editing language for Office (say, spanish), what would be the input language for Office documents in this case?

Parul Gupta

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:52 AM
  • By default the Office default editing language will take preference but things can get very complicated if you have, for example, multiple keyboards installed/enabled.

Changing the Office default editing language has some significant (and some trivial :-)) effects, and is not something that should be done often. What are you trying to achieve?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, March 30, 2012 3:10 PM
  • I wanted to identify the primary language used in a word document. Word API for this fails to detect the content language for slightly bigger documents. So I was trying to clarify ifwe can consider the default editing language for Office as the authoring langugae for the word document?

Parul Gupta

Friday, March 30, 2012 3:38 PM
  • The (default) primary language isn't really meaningful at a document level. Language is an attribute of text and all text has a language, some or all of which may be different from any 'primary' language that has been used in its production.

Saying you were trying to identify it doesn't really answer the question about what you were trying to achieve - what would you have done based on what you had found out?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, March 30, 2012 5:16 PM