none
Importing an ODBC schema into Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a lot of issues while attempting to import ODBC schema and its tables.

First, my ODBC driver is part of the MySQL Workbench app.

Second, when I tried to add it to the ODBC list under the DSN in the ODBC administrator dialog, it did not register.

Finally, I have tried some of the basic Access 2016 tutorials, but there were not much help.

Anyone who is willing to help me out will be appreciated.

Regards,

JohnDBCTX

jp

Saturday, October 13, 2018 11:54 PM

All replies

• You should use the 32-bit ODBC applet. I'm assuming you are using 32-bit Access.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 14, 2018 12:49 AM
  • I have tried the following drivers of the following apps:

PostgreSQL, and MySQL Workbench.  So far, no corresponding tables have showed up on the list.

The database modules that I am trying to import are written in Perl, and it is supposed to be translated in Unicode.

I am unsure where to proceed.  

Regards,

JohnDBCTX

jp

Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:16 AM
  • > The database modules that I am trying to import are written in Perl

Just checking: you were not expecting to import / convert those, were you? That is not what drivers do. The MySQL driver gives access to the MySQL database tables. The rest of the application needs to be built with Access objects (queries, forms, reports), macros, and VBA.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:24 PM
  • You have to first determine if the database is MySQL (it seems so), or if the database is Postgress. They both require their respective ODBC driver to be installed on your workstation.

You also have to ensure that you install an x32 bit version of the ODBC driver (assuming your version of access is x32 bits - in most cases it is).

Next up, there are two odbc panels in windows. The default one in the control panel is the x64 bit version, and that is NOT the one you want to use.

Best way is to always launch the odbc panel from Access, as it always launched the correct version of the odbc panel.

You should thus see the MySQL driver in the list, something like this:

So from above, choose the MySQL driver.

If you don’t see the driver listed for MySQL, then you not installed the ODBC driver. I am not certain but the x64 bit download of the MySQL drivers does install BOTH x32 and x64.

If you installed the x64 bit version of the MySQL drivers, and still don’t see the driver in the above list, then install the x32 bit version of the MySQL driver, and you should be good to go.

Also, you mention that you have MySQL workbench, so try connecting to the database with that – this should allow you to view and see the tables in the database.

From access, you can choose to ether link to these tables (the will remain live on MySQL, but allow Access to update).

Or you can import the table. You have to import each table, and then setup the relationships in Access if some tables are related.

So you first have to get the drivers to appear in the above list.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:01 PM