none
Migration SP 2013 to Office 365

Question

• Hello All SP Gurus - I am not sure if this is right group to post this question. Please let me know and I will post it into right group. Well, we are thinking to migrate our SharePoint 2013 on-premise intranet to the cloud in Office 365. We have following customization from earlier versions.

1. Custom Branding 

2. Custom Event Receivers - Developed in SP 2010

3. Custom List and List Forms

4. Designer Workflows - Both 2010 & 2013

5. Custom server-side webparts - Developed in SP 2010

6. Custom client side webaparts based on JSON/REST - Developed in SP 2013

7. Termstore, Metadata columns

My question is - What is the migration path that consider all the above elements?  What we need to prepare before migration?

Note: I am aware of import service in Office 365 to move data files.

Any resource will be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Khushi

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:24 PM

All replies

• 2 and 5 can't be moved to O365 in their current form. You'd have to re-develop them as Remote Event Receivers and Non-Server Side web parts respectively.

I would look at a phased migration. Get O365 set up and in use and mandated for all new content/applications/sites with only a bare minimum of content moved over. That lets you get the system bedded in without allowing the legacy systems to block the new one.

Then have a team set up to process through the sites and applications that you've got remaining on 2013 and move them to the cloud. You may be able to use the off the shelf migration tooling for this or you might want to buy one in. We've done this before with a 'Migration factory' and it's worked well.

• Edited by Alex Brassington Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by croute1 Friday, April 21, 2017 2:58 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Key Things To Consider Before Migrating From On-Premise SharePoint To SharePoint Online On Office 365:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/key-things-to-consider-before-migrating-from-on-premise-shar/

SharePoint On Premises to SharePoint Online Office 365 Migration:
    http://expert-advice.org/2017/02/sharepoint-2010-on-premises-to-sharepoint-online-office-365-migration/
    Friday, April 21, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Alex. We have Only 1 main WebApplication. We have multiple sitecollections in it. Do you mean each of those site collections need to migrate separately? Does the Import Service migrate only documents or webpages, lists, workflows too?

Also, we have user's information in MySite. Is there any option to migrate Mysite too? We are moving AD into Azure first but Some of the user's info is in custom properties created in user profile. 

Khushi

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:43 PM