none
Documents moved from the Drop Off Library to final Document Library do not trigger "Item Created", and the workflow does not auto start (as System Account).

Question

• Documents moved from the Drop Off Library to final Document Library do not trigger "Item Created", and the workflow does not auto start (as System Account).

How do I get a workflow to start automatically in a document library when the content organizer is enabled?

I have a drop off library, documents get uploaded to the drop off library, they go through the approval process, and a content organizer rule routes them to their final destination in the appropriate folder in specified document library. However, I have a workflow set to run automatically in that document library on item created. It is not getting triggered to run. The document shows up in the library in the correct place with modified by as System Account.

Any suggestions on how to get the document library workflow to auto start when documents are added by the drop off library?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi aku,

Is it a SharePoint Designer workflow?

If so, I am afraid that this is a known issue that SharePoint Designer workflow does not auto start for documents created through content organizer. Our product group is aware of it and they are currently investigating the issue, but they don’t have an estimate for how long it will take.

A workaround I can think of is to create the workflow in SharePoint Designer as a reusable workflow, export to a WSP file and then import it into Visual Studio. Using the imported VS workflow, it is still triggered by system account but it is no longer a declarative workflow so that auto fire could work.

Here is a walkthrough that may be helpful to you.

Walkthrough: Import a SharePoint Designer Reusable Workflow into Visual Studio

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231580.aspx

Sorry for the inconvenience and many thanks for your understanding.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, August 20, 2010 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi aku,

Is it a SharePoint Designer workflow?

If so, I am afraid that this is a known issue that SharePoint Designer workflow does not auto start for documents created through content organizer. Our product group is aware of it and they are currently investigating the issue, but they don’t have an estimate for how long it will take.

A workaround I can think of is to create the workflow in SharePoint Designer as a reusable workflow, export to a WSP file and then import it into Visual Studio. Using the imported VS workflow, it is still triggered by system account but it is no longer a declarative workflow so that auto fire could work.

Here is a walkthrough that may be helpful to you.

Walkthrough: Import a SharePoint Designer Reusable Workflow into Visual Studio

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231580.aspx

Sorry for the inconvenience and many thanks for your understanding.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, August 20, 2010 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:59 AM
  • any update on this issue?

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Has this issue been resolved yet?

I have a declarative workflow which copies documents from one site collection to another's Drop Off Library. When the document arrives in the Drop Off Library another declarative workflow should launch automatically to perform an action. This second workflow does not start.

Please advise,

Thanks, Tom.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Check this out.
    Since the email processing is running in the context of "System Account", SharePoint declarative workflow cannot be triggered by the system account. An example is the out-of-the-box "Approval - SharePoint 2010" Workflow of SharePoint 2010 or any workflow created using SharePoint Designer with SharePoint 2007.
    To enable SharePoint workflow for email enabled list run “stsadm -o setproperty -pn declarativeworkflowautostartonemailenabled -pv true”

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:02 AM
  • HI Lily,

I have a drop off library, documents get uploaded to the drop off library, they go through the approval process, and a content organizer rule should route the document to their final destination after the document is approved.

how can i set the content orginizer rule on the status of workflow, i.e when workflow status= approved then apply the content orginizer rule.

any help is appericated!

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I've released a Sharepoint 2010 feature that fixes this issue by watching a document library, and forcing the appropriate attached workflows to fire when an item is added or created.  This is implemented as an event receiver, and specific to document libraries where the content organizer is enabled.

Since it's a feature, you can deactivate it when Microsoft provides a patch for this issue.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Thanks Bill. Does it need to be deployed to the GAC? It is not working for me (is there a timer job that needs to run?).

Microsoft, please get a fix into the next CU. It affects a lot of people, but a lot are just working around it and not posting their issues. I would prefer to work "with" SharePoint... not "around" it.

Kelly

Personal Blog: http://thebitsthatbyte.com

• Edited by Kelly Rusk Friday, October 07, 2011 2:53 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I'm interested in your solution. I've downloaded and tested, but the infrastructure guys are asking to see the source code before they deploy it to the production environment. Can you post the source code ? Or send it to me in a private mail ? Just let me know ?

Regards,

Marc

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Marc,

The source code is available at that same site.  Just click on the "Source Code" tab and you can download the Visual Studio solution.

Bill

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Kelly,

Yes, it needs to be deployed to the GAC, which is what the command of "stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -name DocumentAddedReceiver_FiresWorkflows -immediate -allowGacDeployment" does.  Did you remember to activate the solution in your site?

Bill

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Yes the source code is available, but drop 1921 is empty and drop 1922 contains only 1 file, the solution file. So I did not find the source code :-)

Marc

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Marc...

How very strange!  I'm looking for the source code now (I've since had a hard drive crash).  I'll upload it the moment I find it, and let you know.

Bill

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for the solution. Please also postthe code. I was looking for a solution for a month and found yours this past week.

Also, there is a mistake in step 4 where you also need to add .wsp

step 4: DocumentAddedReceiver_FiresWorkflows.wsp

where as it is currently its shows

step 4: DocumentAddedReceiver_FiresWorkflows

When i tried to deploy it said solution cannot be found, once i fixed it it works fine. Thanks.

Avi

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I've been watching the source code table of the codeplex project. I haven't seen appearing anything, so I presume no luck with finding back the source code. Can you confirm ? If yes, I will have to look how we will proceed :-(

Regards,

Marc

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I am interested in the source code as well. Any progress on that?

Thanks,

Nico

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi Bill,

Your solution only works if the workflow is associated with all the content types in the library. Am I right?

In my case its not working. I have a workflow assignet to one specific content type in that library.

Any Solution?

Thanks,

Nico

Friday, January 06, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Hi

Is there a solution to this problem ?

I'm experiencing the same problem. On SP1. Is there a CU fix ?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

We use the wsp that Bill has created (http://sp2010workflowfix.codeplex.com/). And this works ...

Regards,

Marc

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi

I installed this feature and workflows start automatically. However there is a problem with Approval Workflow in SPD. The emails always show 'System Account'. Is there a fix for this ongoing problem yet ?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:34 PM
  • I think I'm having the same issue, but in a different area. I created a workflow on the Discussion content type in a Discussion Board and checked the Start workflow automatically when an item is created box so the workflow should fire when a discussion is created. However, when I click View Properties on an existing discussion and then click the Workflows button, I don't always see the workflow listed in the Completed Workflows section (which I think means that the workflow didn't fire).

I checked the Completed Workflows section for the last 25 discussions and I only see the workflow listed in 19 (75%) of the discussions. I don't see any pattern (time of day, who created the discussion, etc.) so it appears to be random.

Does anyone know if this is the same issue that you all are having?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:05 PM
  • I think I'm having the same issue, but in a different area. I created a workflow on the Discussion content type in a Discussion Board and checked the Start workflow automatically when an item is created box so the workflow should fire when a discussion is created. However, when I click View Properties on an existing discussion and then click the Workflows button, I don't always see the workflow listed in theCompleted Workflows section (which I think means that the workflow didn't fire).

I checked the Completed Workflows section for the last 25 discussions and I only see the workflow listed in 19 (75%) of the discussions. I don't see any pattern (time of day, who created the discussion, etc.) so it appears to be random.

Does anyone know if this is the same issue that you all are having?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Hi Mahive M

I am also looking for this option.

Did you get any success in that?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem and believe a fix is available from Microsoft (Feb 2013 CU. 14.0.6134.5000). Though I have not tested. Here is a thread about something similiar
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/7a7fddc0-a374-4660-9cd8-cfb82eaec15a/workflow-not-starting-automatically-when-using-content-organizer?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

I used a codeplex fix which worked for me in a limited way. (cant remember the limitation though)
    http://sp2010workflowfix.codeplex.com/

Hope it helps

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Were you able to find a solution to this issue? I am having the same issue except that I am using SharePoint Online 2016, Designer 2013 and 2010 workflow.  I have been looking all over the internet and this issue happened since SP 2010 but you would think MS already fix it in  SP 2016. 

Please let me know if you found any solution to this issue.

Monday, January 09, 2017 5:18 PM
  • Victor,

You can try implementing a custom router (ICustomRouter).

This will be triggered by any content organiser rule set to use it so it would give you the ability to reliably run code each time a document is processed by content organiser.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.recordsmanagement.recordsrepository.ecmdocumentrouter.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

You could move your workflow workflow logic to ICustomRouter OR simply make the custom router start a workflow.

https://zimmergren.net/starting-a-sharepoint-workflow-from-code-event-receiver/

Hope helpful

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:40 AM