Are still there separate security updates for Sharepoint 2016 or it only have PU RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading this article about sharepoint security updates for sharepoint server 2016 link and on the accepted answer it mentioned:-

There are no separate security updates for SharePoint 2016, that's correct.

but now i am working on a sharepoint 2016 server. and inside the windows updates i find this security update under "Office" category:-

so seems in sharepoint 2016 there is still separate security updates being provided .. and not only PU?? so not sure why inside this  link it mentioned that on SP 2016 there is not separate security updates.. while in my farm i can see the above security update inside my windows update section ...

• Edited by johnjohn11 Friday, May 12, 2017 12:56 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 12:16 AM

All replies

• There are only PUs. Each month two PUs are released, both of them are required to be installed on the servers. PUs *might* be security updates, as well, as we've seen with this month's release. But it's still a PU. There is no more separation of patches like you saw with previous versions of SharePoint.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:42 AM
  • There are only PUs. Each month two PUs are released, both of them are required to be installed on the servers. PUs *might* be security updates, as well, as we've seen with this month's release. But it's still a PU. There is no more separation of patches like you saw with previous versions of SharePoint.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

So are you saying that the PU which is released each month can either be a security updates or a non-security updates? or it could be both ????

second question. will the sharepoint 2016 PU (security or non-security updates) be displayed inside the windows update tool? as from SP 2013 experience, the windows update tool only show SP security  updates, and it never show/include full CUs... so in SP 2016 what is the case regarding windows updates?

Friday, May 12, 2017 8:24 AM
  • PUs which contain security patches will be offered through WU. PUs are non-security unless they include security fixes, then they're both, but advertised first and foremost as security updates.

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:02 PM