none
Is it possible to get logs of outgoing Sharepoint mails? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

our companys SharePoint has outgoing/incoming mails set up. Everything works fine - SharePoint, IIS, Exchange, SharePoint workflows which trigger sending emails. Logging is set up on IIS.

But - where do I get logs for outgoing emails?

Logs in Windows\System32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1\... are used for INCOMING mails (I mean incoming to SharePoint libraries).

Logs in inetpub\logs\LogsFiles\... are... well, for many logs, but I was not able to find any log for outgoing mails - or did I read something wrong?

Thanks for any tip.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:24 PM

All replies

• By default, there is no logging mechanism in SharePoint for outgoing mails.

Mails in SharePoint are sent by giving an SMTP sever IP address in Central Administration. SharePoint never sends email directly. It relays or routes mails to the SMTP server. So, logging should be done in the SMTP server itself.

There is also another way of doing it. You can enable SMTP service of IIS for sending emails from SharePoint, which would also just relay the mails to an SMTP Server. But in this case, you can enable logging in your IIS SMTP Service. Visit this blog for more details:.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Hi i.sko,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:49 AM
  • By default, there is no logging mechanism in SharePoint for outgoing mails.

Mails in SharePoint are sent by giving an SMTP sever IP address in Central Administration. SharePoint never sends email directly. It relays or routes mails to the SMTP server. So, logging should be done in the SMTP server itself.

There is also another way of doing it. You can enable SMTP service of IIS for sending emails from SharePoint, which would also just relay the mails to an SMTP Server. But in this case, you can enable logging in your IIS SMTP Service. Visit this blog for more details:.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Yes, I do understand. I have already set this logging up (about a year ago) and logs are made everyday.

But they are the logs in Windows\System32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1\... directory that I write are for INCOMING (incoming to SharePoint libraries) mails only. So unfortunately I cannot use them. 

• Edited by i.sko Friday, October 18, 2019 7:37 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi i.sko,

How did you configure logs for incoming email?

It is difficult to find the logs for outgoing email from the SMTP logs.

You could consider to try to search in the logs based on email address.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi i.sko,

How did you configure logs for incoming email?

It is difficult to find the logs for outgoing email from the SMTP logs.

You could consider to try to search in the logs based on email address.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

I set the logging according to the article given by sharath aluri. Default settings. W3C Extended Log File Format, into C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles, hourly, all options checked.

I am pretty sure there is no outgoing email logged. Some of the log files are 10-15 lines long and this is the size I can read the file word by word.

I am able to see a history of outgoing email in another system so I am pretty sure the mails are outgoing - but no trace in these log files. 

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Hi i.sko,

You could re-configure the SMTP logs to check if there are outgoing emails in the logs.

If there is no log for the outgoing email, I suppose there is something wrong in the current system.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi i.sko,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:28 AM