none
Simple Link or Header / Term-Driven Page with Friendy URL

Question

• I am using managed navigation with friendly terms.   I have a term that is marked as Simple Link or Header (to make the top-level link not clickable). I did not provide a URL for this term, thereby making it a text on the menu.   I have several children of that Simple Link term that ARE term driven.   All appears fine until you want to add a child page to that menu.  If I click on a page listed in that menu, then click the gear icon and select "Add a page", I receive an error.  If I change the Simple Link root term over to a Term Driven Page With Friendly URL, adding a new page as described above works.  Is this a bug? Is there a way around this?  We like having the top level term not clickable as a header, but rely on the friendly terms for the child menu elements.  

If this is not clear, please let me know.  Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

Monday, February 27, 2017 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi pjatdy,

I did not reproduce this issue.

For this issue, please provide more information:

1. What is the error message when adding a page? It would be better if you can provide the screenshots about this issue.

2. What is build number of your SharePoint server?

Here are steps to find the build number of SharePoint server:

Central Administration > System Settings > Manage servers in this farm > Configuration database version.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi Thanks for the response.  My version is 15.0.4569.1000

I can replicate this behavior consistently.  For example, a menu option is configured as such:

First I would click on a Friendly URL link (ie. Brochures).  Then, I go to the gear and click add a page:

After doing this I receive the following error:

If the top level menu item "Resource Center" is changed to Term Driven/Friendly URL, repeating these steps works. 

Thank you

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:57 PM
  • Hi pjatdy,

Please search the message in the ULS log based on the Correlation Id in the error message for finding the log message about this issue.

For SharePoint 2013, the default path of ULS log files is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Hi, This is the error:

Application error when access /_layouts/15/CreatePublishingPageDialog.aspx, Error=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.FriendlyUrlUtilities.GetFullyQualifiedFriendlyUrl(NavigationTermSetItem navTermSetItem, SPSite site)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.CreatePublishingPageDialog15.OnLoad(EventArgs e)    
     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()    
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Are you able to recreate this on your end also?  Thanks

Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:56 PM
  • Hi, have you been able to research this further? Thanks
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Hi pjatdy,

Have you deployed any customizations?

Please set the site as a trusted site in IE, and check if it works. Test in other browser to the issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:34 AM
  • Hi, no customizations except some minor master page branding.  Same issue exists with or without trusted site, as well as using Chrome, IE, etc. This error is reproducible in multiple on-premise farms.   Thank you
    Friday, March 10, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi pjatdy,

Please create a new web application and a new site without any changes in the master page.

Check if the issue occurs on the new site.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Hello there, tried your suggestion and received the same results/error message.  Also tried on our 2016 farm and encountered the same issue.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Monday, March 20, 2017 7:45 PM
  • Hi pjatdy,

I have reproduced this issue when creating a publishing page with the friendly URL.

To resolve this issue, we need to disable “Create friendly URLs for new pages automatically” option for the Manage Navigation.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:26 AM