none
Javascript API: Writing Email Address via SetDataAsync, Have Excel Turn Into Link RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a sidebar app using the Javascript API for Office. One functionality that it has allows users to update cells from the app. I used the SetDataAsync function to do this, and it works for text. When an email address is updated, though, it goes in as plain text. I have to go to the cell, enter it, and hit the enter key. Only then does it get turned into a mailto link.

Is there a way to trigger Excel's built in email check, so that it runs when I put the data into the document? Thanks!

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After testing and researching, I'm afraid there is no method or property in JavaScript for Office provided to automatically set mailto link for the text of cells after checking.

We need to reformat the cells manually after inserting with SetDataAsync method.

If you have any suggestion about development of App for Office, please feel free to submit them in User Voice.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:25 AM

All replies

• More information:

What I need to do is somehow manually trigger the AutoFormat functionality of Office. There are options for this under AutoCorrect in Options.  If that isn't possible I might have to try and pre-format the text into a link.

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

After testing and researching, I'm afraid there is no method or property in JavaScript for Office provided to automatically set mailto link for the text of cells after checking.

We need to reformat the cells manually after inserting with SetDataAsync method.

If you have any suggestion about development of App for Office, please feel free to submit them in User Voice.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Thanks, Luna. I've posted it is an idea here: http://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/6618768-javascript-api-trigger-the-autoformat-functionali
    Monday, October 27, 2014 1:48 PM
  • So it's been 2 years. Is this currently still not possible?
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:25 PM