none
Visual Studio 2015 Community and Office Tools. Outlook Add-Ins does not open the App Manifest Designer RRS feed

• Question

• I am following different training on MVA and all the add-in courses show App for Office with a window to setup the add-in.

All the courses I tried were talking about a wizard window when creating a new app for Outlook Add-ins. I never saw this wizard. I don't see "App for Office" in the templates either, just specific add-ins or else.

In my VS2015 Community (Latest) With Office Tools installed, I cannot see App for Office, but Outlook Add-ins and other templates like VSOP, Excel, etc..

So, after creating the project, It goes directly in VS without asking the app type (like mail or appointment). Double clicking on the manifest never brings the manifest designer, but always the XML file.

I cannot find any reference about that anywhere. It is not so funny to try to follow a course and am not able to reproduce what they show...

After struggling a lot, I found that removing the reference to "VersionOverrides" in the top <OfficeApp> definition was fixing the manifest designer opening. If I remove the line referring to VersionOverrides, the manifest designer opens when double clicking the manifest in Solution Explorer.

I know Microsoft is working a lot in these area as it is fairly new. But I want to learn this new technology and I don't know what to expect when the behavior change without documentation anywhere...

Thanks.

Jean-Paul Bleau

Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:55 AM

All replies

• According to your description, you could develop Web Add-ins and VSTO Add-ins with Visual Studio 2015 Community, Apps for Office have change name Office Add-ins that enable you to extend Office clients such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook using web technologies like HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

You can use Office Add-ins to:

Add new functionality to Office clients - For example, augment Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook by interacting with Office documents and mail items, bringing external data into Office, processing Office documents, exposing third-party functionality into Office clients, and much more.

Create new rich, interactive objects that can be embedded into Office documents - For example, maps, charts, and interactive visualizations that users can add to their own Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations.

VSTO Add-ins:

You can use VSTO Add-ins to automate Microsoft Office applications, extend features of the application, and customize the user interface (UI) of the application. 

If you want to develop Outlook add-ins not Outlook VSTO Add-in, you could refer to Get Started with Outlook add-ins for Office 365

For more information, click here to refer about Office Add-ins platform overview and here to refer about Getting Started (Office Development in Visual Studio)

Friday, June 10, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

The problem is not the way to use or program them, but the manifest designer is not working with the templates.

According to all courses on MVA, double clicking on the manifest would open the designer. Instead, it opens the XML file. I had to remove the reference to VersionOverrides to get the designer to work.

Also, when you create a project with the Add-In templates, according to the MVA courses again, it is supposed to open a wizard that ask you the type and rights of the Add-In. Which never occurs with the latest templates.

I found nothing about the VersionOverrides section.

Regards,

JPB

Friday, June 10, 2016 6:44 PM
  • >>>I found nothing about the VersionOverrides section.

According to your description, to support add-in commands, some additional elements have been added to the add-in manifest v1.1 within the VersionOverrides element. When a manifest contains the VersionOverrides element, versions of Outlook that support add-in commands will use the information within that element to load the add-in. Earlier versions of Outlook that do not support add-in commands will ignore the element and continue to use the elements as described in Outlook add-in manifests. When the client application recognizes the VersionOverrides node, the add-in name appears in the ribbon, not in the read/compose pane. The add-in won't appear in both places.

For more information, click here to refer about Define add-in commands in your Outlook add-in manifest and here to refer about Add-in commands for Outlook

Monday, June 13, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

the problem reside in the manifest designer or editor that opens the manifest file into a wizard with 4 tabs to edit the properties inside the XML manifest file.

If you do not remove the line at top of the XML file stating VersionOverrides, the manifest designer will never open, only the XML file will open in text mode, not with the designer.

Try it, create a new project, choose Outlook Add-Ins. Then go in the Solution explorer, select the manifest folder and press ENTER. The manifest will always open in text mode...

If you go to this site about Add-Ins: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/get-started/create-and-debug-office-add-ins-in-visual-studio

It is stated: "To modify the settings of your add-in, open the Manifest Designer. The Manifest Designer is a property page-like editor that enables you to modify the most common settings of your add-in in a more visual way. To open the Manifest Designer from Solution Explorer, expand the "Office" add-in project node, choose the folder that contains the XML manifest, and then press the ENTER key. "

But the ENTER key will always open in text mode. To have the designer to open, you need to remove the VersionOverrides line on top of the XML file for the manifest, then the ENTER key will open in designer mode...

Maybe I did not explain correctly, but I think it may be a bug in the new manifest development of Visual Studio...

JPB

Monday, June 13, 2016 1:12 PM
  • >>>But the ENTER key will always open in text mode. To have the designer to open, you need to remove the VersionOverrides line on top of the XML file for the manifest, then the ENTER key will open in designer mode...

According to your description, could you provide screenshot? In addition I suggest that you could repair Visual Studio, then could you reproduce this issue?

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:23 AM
  • I did run the Repair without success before notifying this.

I did install a fresh VS 2015 Community on a second computer with the same results.

In picture one, this is what comes up when pressing ENTER. Note the VersionOverrides line in the red circle.

After removing this VersionOverrides line, the Manifest shows up like in picture 2

P.S. After trying to insert images of my problem, I have a message stating that my account must be verified before inserting images or links... I looked into my social account and did not see a verify link and my profile is complete...

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:54 PM
  • I placed the images into my server:

http://ordinateurslaval.ca/tmp/VSManifest-1.jpg

http://ordinateurslaval.ca/tmp/VSManifest-2.jpg

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Hi Jean-Paul Bleau,

According to your description and screenshot, if you choose XxxxxManifest then Enter, you will get result below:

If you choose Xxxxx.xml then Enter, you will get result below:

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:58 AM
  • No,

I said: If I click on XxxxManifest then ENTER I get the XML file if I leave the VersionOverrides line in place...

The ONLY way to get the Manifest Designer is to remove the VersionOverrides at the top of the XML file.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:13 PM
  • >>>I said: If I click on XxxxManifest then ENTER I get the XML file if I leave the VersionOverrides line in place...

The ONLY way to get the Manifest Designer is to remove the VersionOverrides at the top of the XML file.<<<

According to your description, I have reproduced this issue, So I suggest that you could submit any feedback to Office Dev UserVoice:

https://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Thanks for your understanding.
    Monday, June 20, 2016 9:52 AM