none
Access 2016 - Tab Control only shows data on 3 tabs RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a tab control in access 2016 that has 5 tabs. Each tab has a subform on it that has a datasheet view of a query. The query is of data that is on linked tables. I am seeing that the last two tabs wont show the datasheet. I can move the order around and it is still just the last two tabs that show blank. I can open each subform individually and it shows the data in the datasheet, but not in the tab control last two tabs.

When I originally developed this it worked, but I was using internal tables, not linked tables. Could that be the reason?  I cant find any other solution.

Friday, August 17, 2018 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hard to tell without seeing more information.

Shot in the dark;

Check:

1. Name of Tables in the object call
    2. Look for any error messages on the object.
    3. Offload the source for the object and close, then reopen the object and select the source again and the source for the items.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Friday, August 17, 2018 9:52 PM
  • Its totally due to the linked tables vs. internal tables.  I made them local and all 5 tabs pulled in data, with the linked tables, the last two are blank. The error I get in design view is "Cannot open any more databases"
    Friday, August 17, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Have seen this happen with linked tables because as each table loads it reloads the underlining Recordsources, as well as, the form itself has a lot of controls calling records.  You can try easing the forms load by simplifying it... removing some controls.  Or if you have subforms on the tabs only load when they receive the focus.

Gina Whipp Microsoft Access MVP 2010-2015 Access Diva Tips: https://www.access-diva.com/tips.html

Saturday, August 18, 2018 4:52 AM
  • So instead of a tab control with subform on each tab, use a regular form with toggle button and use code to load the subform when each button is clicked?

Monday, August 20, 2018 4:53 PM
  • Well, not exactly... load the subforms recordsource.

Gina Whipp Microsoft Access MVP 2010-2015 Access Diva Tips: https://www.access-diva.com/tips.html

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 4:02 AM
  • Its totally due to the linked tables vs. internal tables.  I made them local and all 5 tabs pulled in data, with the linked tables, the last two are blank. The error I get in design view is "Cannot open any more databases"

Error 3048, "Cannot open any more databases," is raised when the database engine reaches an internal limit on the number of recordsets that can be open at one time.  (That's a simplification; technically, it's the maximum number of TableIDs that has been reached, which is related to the number of recordsets.) 

And as I have learned, linked tables uses twice as much as internal tables.

Please look at this response from Dirk Goldgar: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/15653687-5c4d-4d46-bf29-2eb176e320e8/challenging-change-kitchens-screen-layout-to-increase-performance?forum=accessdev

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Did I hear my name?

Another possibility is that the linked tables that are the rowsources for those two subforms are read-only for some reason.  This would only cause the issue if they also return no records for the specific key field that is specified as the Link Master Field of the parent form.  If a form (or subform) returns no existing records, and no records can be added for whatever reason, the detail section of the form will be completely blank.

I don't know if this is the cause of the problem in this case, but it's easy enough to check.  When you open those recordsource tables (or queries) directly in datasheet view, can you add records?  If not, then that's your problem -- and then we can talk about why they would be read-only as linked tables and not as local tables.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Friday, August 24, 2018 6:54 PM
  • I did a navigation template and it let me load all the tabs.  Seemed to work, so I stuck with it. Thank you all for your help
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:15 PM