none
NodeRunner process(Search Index Partition) and how can we fix the performance problem in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Limit the noderunner.exe High Memory:

We have been experiencing a very high memory utilization on both the index partitioning servers.

Search Topology Defined:

No.of searchable Items: 7,248,095 

Changing noderunning.exe.config is not supported (or) not recommended for Production environment. Solution available if to scale up the memory on the index servers.

Get-SPEnterpriseSearchService is set to "PartlyReduced"

We have applied the memory scale up to both the index partition component servers and after a week period we are receiving alerts on both the index servers with high memory consumption.

Please advice on how to limit the memory consumption on both the index servers

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Somi Naidu.

What about the hardware configuration of the SharePoint servers in your farm?
    As per Microsoft documentation, "Partly Reduced" means that the total number of threads equals 16 times the number of processors and the maximum number of threads per host equals 8 plus the number of processors; threads are assigned Below Normal priority.
    You could try setting the performance level to "Reduced" and restart the SharePoint Search Service, then evaluate the performance of the environment.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Ultimately you need to increase memory on the servers that are low. That is your only real solution.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Hardware configuration : (WFE-I&II)

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 64 bit, 4 Processors  64 GB RAM (Both the Index/Query component servers) 

To avoid performance issues, we have scale up the RAM to 64 GB but still its again hitting the threshold. Any alternative measurements to consider to minimize the memory consumption on index servers

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

To avoid performance issues, we have already scale up the RAM to 64 GB but still its again hitting the threshold. Any alternative measurements to consider to minimize the memory consumption on index servers

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Hardware configuration : (WFE-I&II)

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 64 bit, 4 Processors  64 GB RAM (Both the Index/Query component servers) 

To avoid performance issues, we have scale up the RAM to 64 GB but still its again hitting the threshold. Any alternative measurements to consider to minimize the memory consumption on index servers

64 GB is a huge amount of RAM (I manage farms where the Search servers have no more than 24 GB of RAM and more than 10 millions of indexed documents) and the noderunner.exe process is known to be resource hungry.
    I think the only thing you could do is reducing the memory usage of the process by modifying the below setting in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Search\Runtime\1.0\noderunner.exe.config file

<nodeRunnerSettings memoryLimitMegabytes="X" />

to a specified amount of MB of RAM (replace "X" with the correct value); remember to restart the Search service for the change to become effective.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, November 15, 2019 4:19 PM
  • Do not change that setting. It is _unsupported_ and will likely cause noderunner to crash repeatedly.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, November 15, 2019 4:25 PM
  • Recommendation is to not to change any settings in production environment.

Any suggestion in scale up of index partitioning (or) replica to avoid these memory challenges. Please advice

Thanks

Monday, November 18, 2019 4:20 AM