none
defaults for everything

Question

• I can't find documentation on defaults for anything related to charting. So far, I've looked for min/max axis values, major/minor unit values (step between ticks), and font settings. There is documentation on what the appropriate OpenXML properties do, but there isn't anything about the defaults.

Is there some specific site for this? Or is there some way to request the technical manuals or something like that?

I've tried a bunch of searches, both through google and microsoft.com searches with various scopes. I've tried browsing msdn library, I also tried browsing office.com, but there's only search available there. And, of course, in-product help, but that's all just links to office.com articles.

I consider this a general Office development issue, but I've been told to direct all of my charting questions to this excel forum, as the excel dev group handles all the charting stuff for office.

my blog - Tea Time with Meowkins

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, this forum isn't like what you said, there are some questions is more appropriate in some other Excel relate forum, such as Excel Answer forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/excel

and Excel IT pro forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZW/excel/threads

As for your question, it seems that you want to add a chart to your workbook by using OpenXML technology, but you are not clearly know how these values are determined by default. Actually you don't worry about this when you are working OpenXML, have a look at this docuement:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc820055.aspx

After you have done of this, Excel would help you to decide these values, you dont't have to calculate by yourself. If you really care about this, (althrough I haven't found some information related), I guess this is determined by how many ticks can be holded and visible as well within a axis, which is also font size related. There might be a an algorithm for this, but you might need to consult some engineers in Excel IT pro forum to confirm this.

I hope this can help you.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Thank you, Calvin. I will try asking in these other forums.

As you said, I don't need this when adding a chart to an OpenXML workbook. But I forgot to mention (in this thread) that my goal is to read an OpenXML workbook, document, or presentation, and render it in PDF, for example. So, I have to generate the charts myself - no Excel. But i also have to match the way that Excel does the rendering, which is why I need the algorithms for the defaults.

The information I'm looking for is only interesting to developers, and that's why I think this is the best forum to ask this question in.

my blog - Tea Time with Meowkins

• Edited by squebler Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:25 PM typo
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:24 PM