none
Users unable to access IRM protected document in the target document library. Document being transferred from one document library to other. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Iam using SharePoint 2007 on windows server 2003 R2 and RMS Server sp2.

A user (author) uploads a document in one (source) document library. Once uploaded it is rights managed by RMS. Another user (publisher) has to publish this document at another (target) document library. RMS is enabled on both these document libraries. whenever a user (reader) tries to read the published document from target document library, he gets an error which say's he doesn't have enough privileges. Reader has read permissions on all list items in the target document library. Here are the steps I follow.

1.       A user uploads a document into source document library. A publisher downloads this rights-managed document to publish it in target document library.
    2.       SharePoint generates an issuance license (IL) for this document. The IL consists of:

a.       A document key that is specific to the document. This private key is used to encrypt data in the rights-managed document.

b.      A list of users who can access the document, and their corresponding permissions. SharePoint adds itself and the user who downloaded the document to this list.

c.       The GUID of the document library from which this document is being downloaded.

3.       Once the document is downloaded successfully, the publisher tries to publish i.e., to upload this document to another document library.
    4.       SharePoint, after realizing that the document is rights-managed, requests the corresponding IRM Protector to extract the IL embedded in the document.
    5.       IRM Protector returns the IL inside the document to SharePoint.
    6.       SharePoint compares the GUID stored in the document IL with that of the library to which the document is being uploaded.
    7.       If the document library GUIDs match, the IRM protector generates the file stream. SharePoint consumes the file stream to generate and store an unprotected version of the document.
    8.       If the document library GUIDs do not match, SharePoint cancels the document upload. How do we confirm if this is happening in our case?
    9.       A reader downloads this document to read. SharePoint generates an issuance license (IL) for this document.
    10.   The IL consists of, apart from other things, a list of users who can access the document, and their corresponding permissions. SharePoint adds itself and the user who downloaded the document to this list.

Q. How do we confirm, what permissions does SharePoint assigns itself and the user who downloaded the document?

11.   The document is downloaded successfully by the reader.
    12.   The reader is unable to open the document.

Q. If the user, who downloaded the document, was added to the list of users in issuance license (IL) by SharePoint, why is he still unable to open this document?

How do I make this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rahul

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• NEVER post the same identical post to two different forums.

This causes parallel threads and duplicate work for forum members.

I have deleted *only* the second copy this time. (sent to dev/programming) but do not do this again.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Dear Mike, I want to achieve this stuff programatically as well, thats the reason I had posted in dev/programming. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Rahul

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:16 PM