none
How to set where a site gets its master pages? RRS feed

• Question

• So for whatever reason, when I go to the settings for the sub page I'm working on and click "Master pages and page layouts" it takes me up two levels to the master pages of the base site.  I need this to point to the master pages for the current site, which is all I have access to.  How can I do this?
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

I am not sure whether I understand your question.

Go to Site settings->Look and Feel Master page.

If you don't see the setting, active the site's publishing feature.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, September 6, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

By design, if you click "Master pages and page layouts" in site settings, it will redirect to site collection master page catalogs.

If you want to go to the current site master catalogs, we can access it directly like below.

http://currentsiteurl/_catalogs/masterpage

If you want to change the default link url, we can got to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS" in SharePoint server, and find the settings.aspx file, then open it using Notepad add the code  below in "PlaceHoderMain".

If you want to set the current site master, we can using SharePoint designer to achieve it.

Or as Justin's reply, we need active the site feature "SharePoint Server Publishing" in Site Settings->Site Actions->Mange site features. Then we can see "Master page" in Site Settings->Look and Feel, click it to set current site master page.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, I attempted the things stated here but no luck.  To start with, the publishing feature is active.  I do not have access to the back end in such a way, i believe, that would let me make changes directly to the file system.  As for setting the master page in designer, I attempted this but received "403FORBIDDEN403FORBIDDEN403FORBIDDEN...."

An interesting thing, there seems to be some desync between the settings on the page and the settings designer sees.  Designer seems to believe that my master page is the current one set, but when I did that it produced an error on my page and I had to revert the site to the original master page.

Friday, September 6, 2019 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the permission of the user , try to use the system account or administrator to check if it works.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:25 AM